Bob's Component Resto, Part 1: The Radiator

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Guys: Cruiser here with a new feature I'm starting for the FABO faithful, which I'm calling Bob's Component Resto. If you're like me, I like a little light reading before I go to bed, and stuff like the helps me relax and fall asleep. So if you're into component resto like me, here's my first installment - the radiator. This evening we look at the resto of the radiator for my 1974 slant six Gold Duster. In this series, I'll show before resto photos, after resto photos, and finally installed photos. So to begin, let's start with what came with the car when I bought it in April of 2019. It was a crappy, aftermarket generic radiator, and it had NO COOLANT in it, probably the third or fourth radiator in the car. The dude who was driving it didn't know diddly about cars. Thank goodness for the indestructible slant six that could still run with a minimal amount of coolant. I'm all about correct restorations, and so began my quest to find and install the right one for the Duster. The factory parts manual said that the right radiator for my car was part number 3692973. I went to my favorite salvage yard (Rohner's Auto Salvage in Willmar, MN), where there is still an excellent selection of untouched A bodies. There, I found two of these surprisingly hard to find cores. The first one had accident damage to the lower tank (see photos). The second one had a good lower tank, but the wrong part number in the upper tank. I bought them both for $50.00, knowing that I had enough to build one complete and correct unit. I brought the whole mess to one of the few remaining old school radiator shops, Tom's Radiator Repair in Anoka, MN. Tom hit the whole thing with his torch, melting the lead solder and disassembled it. He then took the usable brass upper and lower tanks, the transmission cooler from the second unit, the two side brackets from the undamaged core, and built me a complete correct radiator with a new high efficiency two row copper core. He cleaned up and re-used the original brass drain **** and the brass transmission cooler line fittings, then painted the whole thing in the correct 80% black. The photos show the parts before and after assembly, the finished radiator, the radiator installed in my engine compartment, and a shot of the car that it went into. I frosted that cupcake with a NOS coolant recovery system radiator cap, part number 3673891 - a one year only item for my car. I also removed the original overflow tank, cleaned it out, bead blasted and painted the mounting bracket (two grey primer coats and three Krylon Satin Black finish coats), then reinstalled it using the original ribbed overflow tank hose and the correct Keystone crimp clamps. The whole thing works GREAT, especially with the new Stant 195 degree thermostat that I installed. Never gets over 195 degrees even on the hottest days. I have to tell you this baby just purrs at highway speeds, and the 225 motor LOVES the clean, yummy 50% Prestone II coolant mix running around inside her. Gotta love those old school copper and brass radiators - they cool beautifully and last forever when properly maintained. So that's it for Part 1. I hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for further installments and sleep tight. Good night!

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Cruiser,
Thanks for the write up.
I for one enjoyed reading it and look forward to more installments of "Bob's Component Resto"
Great to see that you took the time and effort to find the parts and services to "restore" it and then document the Resto it in a well written post of your endeavor.
It is getting harder and harder to find parts and services that will work with you (Tom's Radiator Repair).
May we ask what the total cost (parts, labor) to bring that "cupcake" back to life?
P / S The car looks fantastic.
Stay Safe.......
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

Arron: Thanks for the nice reply. I kinda thought it would strike a chord with those of us who are finicky about our components and insist that they be restored correctly. Also, it makes you sleepy reading this stuff. Anyhow, here's the full breakdown:
Salvaged parts (two complete cores) $50.00
Radiator shop parts and labor $390.09
Krylon spray paint for overflow tank bracket $7.97
Keystone crimp clamps (2) $1.50
Grand Total $449.56
I had such fun doing this that I decided to do another one. The first thing to get destroyed in a front end accident is the radiator, and so I decided to build a reserve radiator while the cores are still available. Places like Glen - Ray Radiator cannot build one for you unless you supply your own core as they don't repop the upper tank. The core for the reserve radiator that I built was the LAST one in the entire 80 acre junkyard, so they're going fast. Here are two photos of my reserve radiator that I now have in long term storage. Note the correct part number on the top tank - unique to a 1974 six cylinder Duster and difficult to find. Also note the very rare correct radiator cap that came with my salvage yard core. These are nearly always missing - one of the first things to go in older vehicles. The vehicle that I took it off was very original and unrestored, aside from being destroyed in a crash, and I was able to score the nice original cap that came with the radiator, which I tested and it works. I even saved the four original mounting bolts with the wide captive washers that fasten the unit to the front of the car. Enjoy!

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back