Bob's Component Resto Part 21: The Evaporative Emissions Control System

-

cruiser

Reaction score
And how are my MOPAR kiddies this evening? Ready for bed soon, I trust. This evening's sleeping pill covers a rarely discussed system which requires very little attention from the owner, the evaporative emissions control system (EECS) - also known as the "Vapor Saver" system. That's a pretty long name for a charcoal canister. It seems that Uncle Sam decided that it wasn't any good for our gas tanks to release gasoline vapor into the air, and thus the EECS showed up in the early seventies. This simple system sent fuel vapors from the gas tank to a charcoal canister under the hood. At the next engine start, the carb sucked the unburned fuel from the canister and burned it, resulting in less air pollution. That was the theory, at least. In any case, we've all seen these things under the hood and rarely gave them much attention. My very original 1974 slant six Duster still had its original EECS setup, although the whole thing was looking pretty ratty. To recondition it, I began by removing the canister and its bracket, and then removed the original rubber hoses - one from the carb to the canister and a second one from the steel fuel tank vent line to the canister. I cleaned the outside of the canister and treated it with plastic restorer fluid, then replaced the rubber cap on the unused carb bowl fitting. I also replaced the foam filter in the bottom of the canister. These filters are readily available at NAPA. Next, I refurbished the mounting bracket via the POR-15 process. This begins with a thorough washing with the supplied cleaner/degreaser, followed by a zinc etching bath. Finally, I painted the bracket with two coats of gloss black POR-15, and it now looks like a brand new bracket. The POR-15 lays out and levels nicely, resulting in a finish superior to the factory original finish (which was a single coat of gloss black paint). I then reinstalled the bracket and canister using all four of the original fasteners. These fasteners were in excellent shape as they had been covered in a layer of oily crud. Cleaning them up with paint thinner revealed their shiny original finish. Lovely! Finally, I replaced the two 1/4" rubber hoses: The first from the carb to the canister, and the second from the steel tank vent line to the canister. As you can see in the photos, I used the correct Keystone crimp clamps to fasten the second hose, just like the factory did back in the day. No screw clamps for me! After it all went back together, the car didn't run any differently but everything sure looked a heckuva lot better. The first photo shows the components after removal, and the next photo shows the original short hose (marked "KV") with its factory Keystone clamp. The next photo shows the top of the canister and the filter pad that I installed in the bottom. The canister is date coded "2433" which is consistent with an October of 1973 build date of my car. The next photo is of the reconditioned components prior to installation, and the final picture is the way it looks in the engine compartment. As always, I've tried to keep as many original parts and fasteners as possible. Removing this canister also provided the opportunity to clean up the factory paint behind the bracket, which I've decided to keep instead of repainting the engine compartment. My aim is to keep it as original as possible, and I really like how it looks now all cleaned up and restored. I love the bright, clear and shiny virgin paint behind the bracket - which looks completely perfect, original and untouched. And so I hope tonight's episode has made you nice and drowsy - which is the whole point of this series. Now go get yourself a snack, climb into bed and you're off to sleepy land. Good night and sleep tight!

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good! Which POR15 product did you use? Are you aware the regular POR15 requires a top coat? It's not resistant to UV light and will break down.

How many car shows with the hood up will it take for the bracket to be exposed to enough sunlight to start flaking off?

:D :poke:

It does look good. Always cool to see that level of detail.

How many car shows with the hood up will it take for the bracket to be exposed to enough sunlight to start flaking off?

:D :poke:

It does look good. Always cool to see that level of detail.

I don't know. I was lettin him know, because I know the level of work he puts into things. He's restored something here most people throw in the ditch. ....and did a nice job.

I don't know. I was lettin him know, because I know the level of work he puts into things. He's restored something here most people throw in the ditch. ....and did a nice job.
Rusty: Your point about POR-15 is well taken. Yes, I'm aware that POR-15 can deteriorate when exposed to sunlight. My understanding is that the stuff needs to be top coated if you're doing an outside surface, such as a hood or trunk lid. Since this bracket sits in a dark place in my engine compartment, I felt that it would be okay. One of the considerations for me was the exposure of this bracket to stuff being slung up by the fan and nicking it up. POR-15 as you know is a lot harder than a normally painted surface, so I would expect that this bracket will fare better than if it were painted. Time will tell, and if it looks like it starts coming off I'll bead blast and repaint it. But thanks as always for your reply, and yeah - most people do throw these things in a ditch.

Damn I just woke up for the day, read this, and I'm going back to bed. But seriously, all kidding aside it looks great.

Rusty: Your point about POR-15 is well taken. Yes, I'm aware that POR-15 can deteriorate when exposed to sunlight. My understanding is that the stuff needs to be top coated if you're doing an outside surface, such as a hood or trunk lid. Since this bracket sits in a dark place in my engine compartment, I felt that it would be okay. One of the considerations for me was the exposure of this bracket to stuff being slung up by the fan and nicking it up. POR-15 as you know is a lot harder than a normally painted surface, so I would expect that this bracket will fare better than if it were painted. Time will tell, and if it looks like it starts coming off I'll bead blast and repaint it. But thanks as always for your reply, and yeah - most people do throw these things in a ditch.

It'll probably be fine. I was not aware if you knew that or not. I've never seen any POR15 flake off, but read about it everywhere, including their instructions.

Does that system return condensed fuel back to the tank?

It'll probably be fine. I was not aware if you knew that or not. I've never seen any POR15 flake off, but read about it everywhere, including their instructions.

Does that system return condensed fuel back to the tank?
No, it does not return anything to the tank. I've attached a photo of the system description from page 49 of the owner's manual.

IMG_2269.jpg

No, it does not return anything to the tank. I've attached a photo of the system description from page 49 of the owner's manual.

View attachment 1715780491

Regardless, It's still nice to have it back in working order. I mean.....your car's stone stock and as such, there's nothing wrong with having the canister working. It would even continue to work on a modified vehicle. I've even thought about a vapor return system to the tank, to condense vaporized fuel back into the tank. I'm not sure it'd be a measurable difference in mileage, but I don't think it'd hurt anything, either.

Regardless, It's still nice to have it back in working order. I mean.....your car's stone stock and as such, there's nothing wrong with having the canister working. It would even continue to work on a modified vehicle. I've even thought about a vapor return system to the tank, to condense vaporized fuel back into the tank. I'm not sure it'd be a measurable difference in mileage, but I don't think it'd hurt anything, either.
Yeah, it was never meant to improve your gas mileage because it only burns the tiny amount of fuel that's stored in the canister. It was only meant to keep gasoline vapors from being released into the atmosphere from the gas tank.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was never meant to improve your gas mileage, as it only burns the tiny amount of fuel that's stored in the canister. Mostly it was meant to keep gasoline vapors from being released into the atmosphere from the gas tank.

I for one think your component rebuilds are super cool. Keep um up!

-
Back