Bob's Component Resto, Part 32: The Wiper Motor

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Good evening, kiddies! Rumor has it that some of my MoBros and MoSis' are not getting enough rest at night because the craziness in this world is precluding their sound sleep. How sad. I need to do something about that right now, and so I'm presenting Chapter 32 of our Component Resto Series: The Wiper Motor. If you're afflicted with a certain disease like I am, you obsess about all the little details under the hood of your Chrysler product. Nobody knows where this disease comes from, but the only cure is to restore every little thing in your engine compartment until its perfect and you stop thinking about it. When I bought my 1974 Duster in early 2019, it had its factory original three speed windshield wiper motor. This motor worked perfectly, and I ended up replacing all of the nylon bushings in the linkage and rebuilding the wiper posts to renew the system. Still, the worn and grungy look of the motor bugged me, and after I repainted the engine the wiper motor looked even worse sitting next to my shiny new slant six. The time had come to pull and restore it, and my research indicated that Bruce Somer of NS1 Restorations was the guy to do the job. So off came the ugly unit and it was soon at Bruce's shop in Ontario CA. The first two photos are of the motor on the firewall and after removal. At his shop, Bruce disassembled the motor and cleaned everything. All hardware was replated and finished in clear zinc, and the motor barrel was replated in gold zinc. The housing was cleaned and treated with Rust Prevention Magic, and the switch was Parkerized. The internal wiring, wiring harness, bulkhead connector, and rubber/metal mounting bushings were replaced with new parts. Bruce bench tested the unit before returning it to me, and I installed it as soon as it came back. The subsequent photos are of the restored motor prior to and after installation. The photos do not do justice to how nice this thing looks. I've been in the hobby about 40 years now and this is some of the best component resto that I've ever seen. It looks great and works perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. It cost $260.00 plus shipping, money well spent to my way of thinking especially since I could keep the factory original unit with its correct date coding and part number. To me, restoring the original components will always be my first priority and I'm glad that my wiper motor will live a pampered life from now on. And yeah, I know that there are some out there who will question the wisdom of doing this. It's only a slant six Duster after all. But we all have an emotional connection to our Mopar rides, don't we? That's why we do this stuff. In any case, I'm running out of things to fix on Dusty so there will be fewer component resto installments going forward. I hope that they've satisfied the original intent of this series: to help you fall asleep at night. And on that note, its time to grab yourself a stack of Oreos and a nice cold glass of milk. Now get in your jammies and fall asleep thinking about the best times in your life. I'll bet you spent them in your car, didn't you? Be well, God bless, and keep supporting and inspiring one another. Night night!

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

Your Duster is a very nice well kept car, who cares if it is a /6, you enjoy it as it is and are doing a great job of preserving it.
I think it's great to see and thank you for sharing your experiences and projects.

Nice work.

Couple questions.

1. How long from shipping it off to return
  2. The harness, does he build them from scratch?

As an old mechanic, I love a really clean engine bay, but the single sexiest thing under the hood is a restored wiper motor.

As an old mechanic, I love a really clean engine bay, but the single sexiest thing under the hood is a restored wiper motor.

Thanks, Murray. I thought I was the only one out there who felt that way. Nice to know that there are at least two of us!

Nice work.

Couple questions.

1. How long from shipping it off to return
  2. The harness, does he build them from scratch?
Dana: When I first called him, he said to plan on 6-8 weeks. He actually got it back to me in one month, including shipping both ways. And yes, the entire harness that you see in the photos is new - everything, including the four power wires, the brown wiring sheath, the bulkhead connector, everything. There isn't a bit of old wiring visible anywhere on the motor. And it's built from scratch exactly like the original - same gauge, same colored wire, etc. I had to add in some existing wiring to the bulkhead connector when I got the motor back (the three wires for the backup lights, and a fourth wire to operate the washer motor. Very easy to do). The quality of the bulkhead connector looks significantly better than the original. Really, I couldn't be happier, and I'm pretty picky about this stuff.

My 67 has a wire harness that has an over molded spot that the clamp clamps onto. Do you think he can replicate that?

-
Back