Body filler not drying?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I'm going to start by sayying this is my first time using body filler. I had a bathtub rust out at work and I do not have the time or money to replace it so I sanded down the area and put some body filler on it. This was 24 hours ago and it is still not hardened yet. The stuff is pretty old but I don't know if that would prevent it from drying or not. Anyways, how long does it normally take to harden for sanding?

You did use the cream hardener right? Usually a small plastic tube, stuff is sometimes blue in color, or maybe red? If you should over do the hardener, stuff will dry rock hard within 15 minutes and get real hot from the reaction.

If it didn't harden in 24 hours you didn't add enough hardener to the mix. All of the material I have used has been ready to sand in no more than a half an hour.

scrape it off and use the dyna glass or other brand. body filler is not water proof the glass will be way better

What the others said. Dig it out...it will never harden. Either you didn't use enough hardener or your stuff was bad. Always use enough cream hardener to see a visible color change. Like Louie said, it will get warm to the touch. I always put on more than I need, and as soon as it starts to set I shape it to 'close-to' form using a Surform file. This leaves very little sanding work when it sets....usually in about 15 minutes or less.

It's coming off. I'm going to run up and just buy a new can and the hardener. Thank you.

Hint: practice first on something you don't give a **** about. You can also practice shaving to shape with the Surform

Hint: practice first on something you don't give a **** about. You can also practice shaving to shape with the Surform

I would have but this was a job that I didn't have a choice on. It needed to be done and I was the only one here to do the job. It's getting replaced soon but in the mean time I needed it to hold water.

Luke,
That stuff should be getting warm pretty quickly. Go to Symth's and get some decent filler and hardener.
If it's a fiberglass tub, the bondo wont do the trick. You'll need to a get fiberglass rosin kit and some fiberglass.
I hope the apartment is empty, cause that stuff smells, and it's going to need some time to set up.

-
Back