Body filler not sticking

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi all

Hadsomething really strange happen today. I was appling my fibre glass body filler onto my demons fender and it did not stick.

In all my years I have never seen this.

I preped the repair the same as always, cleaned it. Mixed my filler with cream hardener appled it let it dry. Started to grade it and well it didn't stick. I scraped it all off ground everything down.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what happened. has the filler gone bad, or maybe the hardener or what.

Can anyone please help me. or did I F**k up.

Rick

odd, I havnt seen that happen many times.

if the hardener was bad it would most likely not set up rather than not stick.

did you prep the surface correctly?

the surface should be slightly rough so that the filler has something to bond to.

if the surface is to smooth the filler will just lift off of the base.

I would say to rough up the spot in question with some heavy grit and try it again.

It's merely chemical....... If the filler is still too "hot" (chemically, that is), when you apply a cheese grater, it can pull off quite easily........

I know it's a pain, but resin based fillers need a bit more time on the prepared surface than other fillers.......Depending on the amount of hardener or MEKP liquid used, the "extra time" could amount to very little....a matter of a couple of minutes, up to 10 or more.......

Glass shaping is difficult when it sets too long, so it's a matter of just the right amount of time. In my 35 years, pulling hasn't happened often, but it HAS happened......a bummer fer' shur'. 8)

Thanks everyone.

I grid the area to be filled with 36 grit. The filler is new so was the hardener, guess I didn't wait long enough before I started grading it.

-
Back