Body Filler over Laquer Primer?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys, is this a good idea or bad idea? I have stripped the Valiant to bare metal and have shot it with sanding primer only. I keep it in the garage at the moment so moisture through the sanding primer is kept to a minimum for the moment.
I am wondering is it a good or bad idea to put filler over the sanding primer that is there? Or should I sand it back off as I work each panel?
Thx guys.

I would take the primer from the areas I was working with body filler.My opinion is you want your body filler to bond to the bare metal as it will not bond too good to primer.
Just my 2$ worth.....Good Luck

I wouldn't use body filler over lacquer primer. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even use lacquer primer at all! I suggest removing all the paint to the bare metal, applying epoxy primer, and then using body filler over the epoxy primer.

I wouldn't use body filler over lacquer primer. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even use lacquer primer at all! I suggest removing all the paint to the bare metal, applying epoxy primer, and then using body filler over the epoxy primer.

Agree...

I agree bigtime. wanna see what happens if you have any lacquer under urethane. My jackass painter told me to use rattle can SEM primer to fill low spots he effing missed to begin with. Don't use lacquer. EVER!!!! on a car body

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuLFJiM0Z8

I had a few spots I sanded through when I did the interior roof trim at the edge of the headliner. Where ever the old lacquer was exposed the urethane bubbled. I ended up stripping and redoing them. Thank God it was a small trim part. I'd be standing over my painter with a cattle prod until he fixed that mess WOW!

I agree, stay clear of the lacquer primer.

Read the tech sheet for the filler. It can go over any properly prepaired surface. If you use a 2K or Poly primer and need to fill small spots your ok. Big spots I take to metal.

-
Back