Body work practice

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
A good friend of mine knowing that I like to work on cars and knows my project loaned me his truck to practice on it need needed cab corners pretty bad my dumbass didn't take any before pics but took some progress pictures. I got the passenger side in and welded and done my first coat of bondo to seal the seam sanded it down and did a second coat while it was drying I cut the drivers side out and welded in the new one. It got dark on me so that's where I stopped. Looks pretty good to me considering I'm using a harbor freight flux core welder and basic handtools. It's good practice I'm learning alot as I go. I think he will be happy with it I ordered some gm color matching paint hopefully tomorrow i can finish the filler and sanding and spray some primer.

20200411_194151.jpg

20200411_175449.jpg

20200411_164859.jpg

20200411_162243.jpg

20200411_191959.jpg

20200411_171417.jpg

20200411_185630.jpg

Looks good! I’m not one for using flux core on body panels, but it looks like you’ve got it down!
I know its not the preferred method but it's all i got and all I can afford right now. I hear alot of ppl say flux core isnt good for body panels I like a good challenge lol. I will say this when your underneath welding overhead it's like satan is spitting on you haha. I ran out of my good lincon wire working on my rearend and all I had is this crap I bought from Amazon to try out its call blue demon it sucks I hate it sparks and throws **** like nothing iv ever used I have burns all over me from this crap. I gotta order me some more of the good stuff.

Next time do your seem closer to a style line. You're asking for a big belly in that panel doing it that high. A style line will add strength and won't suck it in when you weld it. And better yet where the molding is.... Then you won't be painting 2 colors.

Next time do your seem closer to a style line. You're asking for a big belly in that panel doing it that high. A style line will add strength and won't suck it in when you weld it. And better yet where the molding is.... Then you won't be painting 2 colors.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. That was the size of the panel I ordered and went with it lol I didnt want to cut the new panels and mess them up so I used the whole thing.

I was surprised how straight I got the body line its dang near perfect I was happy with myself

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. That was the size of the panel I ordered and went with it lol I didnt want to cut the new panels and mess them up so I used the whole thing.

It is common practice to cut them down to size. Then you extra metal for other things

It is common practice to cut them down to size. Then you extra metal for other things
Thank you buddy I appreciate it. I like learning new things someday I may even be good at it :lol:
Sanding sucks tho I had sanding my arms are sore from what sanding I didnt today. Tomorrow is gonna be a work out I gotta block and shape that seam.

What grit paper are you using? A little tip... The sharper the sandpaper the straighter your work will be. The quicker the filler comes off the straighter it will be. When doing mud work I start with 36 grit and do it while the mud is still "tacky" this will shred it off quickly. When it's 90 percent done let it fully cure hard and finish it off. You won't have dust, you won't be sore, it won't take forever, and it will turn out better. Obviously you'll need to glaze it and finish with 180 minimum before primer. You'll end up with a pile of "saw dust" under the panel not fine dust everywhere.

What grit paper are you using? A little tip... The sharper the sandpaper the straighter your work will be. The quicker the filler comes off the straighter it will be. When doing mud work I start with 36 grit and do it while the mud is still "tacky" this will shred it off quickly. When it's 90 percent done let it fully cure hard and finish it off. You won't have dust, you won't be sore, it won't take forever, and it will turn out better. Obviously you'll need to glaze it and finish with 180 minimum before primer. You'll end up with a pile of "saw dust" under the panel not fine dust everywhere.
Thanks that's helpful as well. I started with 60 80 120 then 180 I tried to do it when I was still a little tacky it kept ripping my paper. And clogging my paper. I will have to get some 36 grit and try it with that.

Have no fear cutting the new panels down. I always go minimum patch where i can.
Beware of the foam inside the panels, i had a helper with a blow gun inside to put out the fires as i was welding. The pockets beside seat pop out like nothing. They just sit in there. If its a door on passenger side i like to pull the panel off.

Thanks that's helpful as well. I started with 60 80 120 then 180 I tried to do it when I was still a little tacky it kept ripping my paper. And clogging my paper. I will have to get some 36 grit and try it with that.
Take a length of gas welding rod or something and gently bend it in half and tape the ends together forming a handle. Sqeeze the loop a little tighter to create a tool for "twacking" the filler out of the plugged sandpaper. Also, you should have nothing but bare steel under the palstic filler. The more tooth the better.

A49D4E0E-6AB1-451F-8B8A-64B3C54EE678.png
Dartfreak75,
I’m learning with a cheap flux core too. Here’s a good good tip for yeah. Pun intended, when use flux core get rid of that shielding tip your using and get one of these gasless plastic skinny tips for a few bucks at harbor freight. They work so much better and you can actually see better when starting the weld.

If you use coarse grit paper it won't clog as bad. You can just use a blow gun to clear it out when it does.

View attachment 1715506207 Dartfreak75,
I’m learning with a cheap flux core too. Here’s a good good tip for yeah. Pun intended, when use flux core get rid of that shielding tip your using and get one of these gasless plastic skinny tips for a few bucks at harbor freight. They work so much better and you can actually see better when starting the weld.
That's awesome thanks

Got some progress done on this truck today. I got the filler sanding down and smoothed out and primed and painted it. My primer went down perfectly but the paint orange peeled I'm not happy about it. My friend said it looked good enough to him but I'm not satisfied with it. I think I can do better.

20200415_171456.jpg

20200415_171910.jpg

20200415_193735.jpg

20200415_185036.jpg

-
Back