Bodyman Questions B S or not

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any bodymen out here ? The question I have is how does a bodyshop repair a new style plastic bumper ( fascia ) And is there a core on them? I have a 2014 RAM , got in a fender bender and the other guy's insurance is paying , told me they work with a particular in my area. So I took it there to get repairs made, told them I wanted a NEW Fascia not to putty up the old one. And I wanted the old one since they asked if I wanted the old parts back. NOW the lady tells me they replaced the fascia and had to send the old one in for core!! Sounds like B S to me.

Yes alot have cores i came from a ford bodyshop. Alot of it had 2 do w keeping aftermarket companies from getting ahold of them so they can make molds sooner

Yes alot have cores i came from a ford bodyshop. Alot of it had 2 do w keeping aftermarket companies from getting ahold of them so they can make molds sooner
Mine had a kink in it,is that something they would repair and if so how? Thanks for the info.

Yup, my local body shop has a stack of cores.

They rework them, heat and beat so to speak. That and plastic welding.

You are not obligated to use the other guys insurance approved location to have work performed.

If you don't like what you hear, go somewhere else for an estimate and work. Tell the other places who the insurer is.

Mopar parts manager for many years.
Yes, there is a core on most (not all) bumper covers. Usually $100.00.
That is being done to keep aftermarket rebuilders from repairing them and putting them back out there.
The official word is safety reasons, but the truth is it's to keep them off the market and buying replacement parts from the manufacture.
When I got cores back, I was to cut the center out of the bumper cover and send a 6" piece back.
That's how I got this gem!

IMG_0715.JPG

They have cores on more than just bumper covers these days. They are also trying to keep them out of the hands of dumpster divers who fix them and sell them as reconditioned. Ask for a final bill or copies of their invoices if you don't think it's being replaced. Some insurance companies push big time on their drp shops to repair. Doesn't matter if you go to their drp shops or a shop of your choice insurance will choose the "most cost effective" repair and that's all they pay. If the shop is smart they'd send an order through collision link and have their Dodge dealer price match the aftermarket or reconditioned cover.

-
Back