Bogging on acceleration

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
I just installed new fuel cell, lines and filter. Drove 100 miles with no problems. Took it out today and the car would barely reach 50mph and then choke up when I gave it gas. I think there may be a some debris from the new line or tank that got to the carb. Where should I start to troubleshoot?

Edelbrock Carb
Carter Pump
-8 Fuel line

Thought I fixed problem but still bogging. Maybe something got through the filter and is in the carb. Where should I start if looking at the carb? Eddey carb.

I would check for blockage in the check valve. Hopefully it didn't get past there and got in the accelerator pump.

try changing which hole the accelerator pump goes in there are 3 to choose from. the top hole will give the biggest/longest pump shot as compared to the bottom hole.

I dont know if this helps in the future, but I sprayed 2 cans of break cleaner into my new tank, sloshed it around, and blew it out with compressed air. As far as I can tell my tank is clean. However, it did have a oil residue on it from shipping!

This summit fuel cell had lots of crap in it and has created a headache. I had the carb checked out and nothing wrong. My problem with fuel starvation must be coming from the fuel pump. Brand new fuel pump that must be clogged with something that got passed the fuel filter. Have any of you had an issue like this with the fuel starvation. If it's not the fuel pump then there must be a rock in the line.....HA HA. Any good tips to clear the fule pump????

you need to test the pump. 1 way is to disconnect the line coming in from the tank, put a vac/fuel pressure gauge on it, crank the car over, and see what psi it pulses to. at least 4.5. the other way is to check flow out. disconnect the line from the pump that goes to the carb, run a piece of hose into a jar/bucket and have someone crank it over and watch the amount that flows out. is your pump a high gph? i noticed that you run -8 line. is that from tank to carb? -6(3/8) is more than plenty on the street.

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that -8 is a problem. Hope not. I just installed all new lines and fittings. Not cheap.

no its not the problem, just overkill. do you have a fuel pressure gauge/regulator inline to the carb? when you said the carb was checked out, what did they do to it?

OK it just doesnt want to go my way.....My tuner went through the carb looking for any problems ....What ever that means...He found nothing wrong. So I put the carb back on and installed a new carter street fuel pump. Why? because it had to be the fuel pump. I drove the car for 75 miles with no problems and thought I was good to go.....Some punk kid wanted to race me so I jumped on it and it bogged on me again. This is not a miss...its a bog where the car almost stalls.

Any ideas? I'm taking it in to another highly recommended tuner but it just doesnt make sense.
I have all high Po parts from the tank to the carb except for this POS Pep Boys special fuel pressure gauge. Could that be my problem? Maybe it leaks....I dont know. How about the carb spacer gaskets do those go bad? I just dont get it....This aint rocket science.

im having a similar problem, whenever i give it so much gas it bogs down, but pulls out of it after a few seconds. At first i thought it was just getting too much fuel, but then i got to messing around with it and the front accelarator pump is clogged or something b/c you cant pump it manually, i replaced the diaphram and extended the little spring but it still does it. so im wondering if i have something clogged in one of the passages running from the acc pump. are you having the same problems with acc. pump?

ps. its 50 cc

OK it just doesnt want to go my way.....My tuner went through the carb looking for any problems ....What ever that means...He found nothing wrong. So I put the carb back on and installed a new carter street fuel pump. Why? because it had to be the fuel pump. I drove the car for 75 miles with no problems and thought I was good to go.....Some punk kid wanted to race me so I jumped on it and it bogged on me again. This is not a miss...its a bog where the car almost stalls.

Any ideas? I'm taking it in to another highly recommended tuner but it just doesnt make sense.
I have all high Po parts from the tank to the carb except for this POS Pep Boys special fuel pressure gauge. Could that be my problem? Maybe it leaks....I dont know. How about the carb spacer gaskets do those go bad? I just dont get it....This aint rocket science.

Try it with the gas cap off -- the tank may not be venting.

Yes it was the carb. Im going to a quickfuel because it turns out the eddy needed rebuild. Cab I get some pix of your gv install? I want to start that project early next year. I would also love to see the air ride install.

-
Back