bolt and hardware cleaning

-

ssba

Reaction score
Hello all, I have seen some pictures posted on some restoration threads here of some incredible attention to detail that goes way beyond anything I have ever done.
Thinking I need to improve my method of cleaning up the factory bolts and such.
hoped some of you guys wouldn't mind sharing what has worked best for you
to help get some of us grubby guys up to snuff.

I use a solvent to degrease, let air dry, then use scrub pads, wire brushes and/or wire wheel to get rid of stubborn gunk or rust. If the degreased item looks clean, then I only use the 3-M Scotchbrite pad to try to brighten it up.

Brake clean , wire brushes, scotch brite.I don't have solvent tanks or room for them but you don't need much more than that for bolts and if you do replace them,

Brake clean and wire brushes.

I chase all threads with a tap for better results.

Harbor Freight tumbler. I drop the bolts in and turn it on with the media and they come out as brand new.

Riddler

I picked up a used blasting cabinet for 80 bucks and a couple bags of glass bead ..... have done bolts, nuts, brackets all in a matter of seconds and they come out just like new. The guy had a mini shop vac and a viabrating system hooked up to it also .... keeps the dust out and the viabration shakes the bead back down to the bottom ....works like a charm and best money spent for time saved

Try using molasses. There is more on you tube and google.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5IUiYMhRM"]Best rust treatment, Molasses rust removal proven with before and after samples - YouTube[/ame]

Usually clean first with lacquer thinner. Was wire brushing everything, but did some recently with Evapo Rust with great results. If not too pitted, it brings them back like new.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to look into the evaporust and possibly the harbor freight tool. I have been using a bench grinder with a wire brush for years. But lately i have been slinging them across the shop and sharpening my fingers. Can't see or hang on to the little rascals like I used to.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to look into the evaporust and possibly the harbor freight tool. I have been using a bench grinder with a wire brush for years. But lately i have been slinging them across the shop and sharpening my fingers. Can't see or hang on to the little rascals like I used to.

I use vise grips to hold small parts using the wire wheel. Hate ruining my nails LOL :lol:

If they're not rusty, I clean them with gasoline and then soda blast them in the blast cabinet. The baking soda takes off the dirt and grease without removing the plating.

I use a glassbead blaster to clean them, and I'm expecting a zinc plating kit in the post soon.....I want my bolts to look like new, and not rust in a hurry......see how it goes.

I sand blast them but it is a bit cumbersome to run a big rig out on the ground for small parts.
I'll prob get me a small blast cabinet soon for small stuff.

Chemical cleaning:
If they have paint and grease on them, you'll need to degrease and rinse b4 you de-rust.

I'd get a metal 5 gallon bucket and a steel basket that fits in and holds lots. Then a pound of lye and a bottle of dawn dishwashing liquid. Fill w 3 gallons water and add to that.
Wear eye goggles and gloves. This won't be too strong but it will be bad for the eyes.
Let bolts soak for a couple weeks, occasionally sloshing them. They'll come out bare.
Rinse well.
Then soak in evaporust or ospho diluted half w water for a few hours. ospho and others leave a black appearance which is decently protective against rust.

If you can dodge a nut, or a bolt, or a wrench, you can dodge a ball....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMWdnkSMPGM"]If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball - YouTube[/ame]

My buddy is well pleased with his Harbor Freight tumbler.

I've just always held them to a wire wheel to clean them up. Then a shot of rattle can clear to keep em from rusting. Not concours stuff but it looks alright. This ain't a Mopar engine (in my truck) but it shows the idea.

My Harbor Freight tumbler doesn't do much for rusted fasteners. They can be in there all day and they still come out rusted.

I derust all of my fasteners with muriatic acid. The acid works a lot faster then EvapoRust and doesn't lose its strength. Once the rust is gone, the fasteners get soaked in backing soda water to neutralize the acid. Then they are ready for the tumbler. I use a degreaser with the green pyramids. After a couple hours they come out ready to go to the zinc platers....or to darken. I've had fasteners cleaned this way sitting in a box inside the house for over a month and they haven't started to flash rust.

For bolts and nuts that were phosphate black, after cleaning & wire wheel I dunk in Eastwood Rust Convertor. That makes them black finish like the phosphate ones.

I use black oxide solution from Caswell Plating. It's not a rust preventative though. You still have to put something on the fasteners so they won't rust. I'm thinking about getting a price on having them professionally done for the Dart. If it's as cheap as zinc plating, I'll probably go that route.

For dirty bolts with little rust and assorted small parts, you can get a 1 gallon can of carburetor cleaner (soak) from your local parts store that even has a little basket in there to help retrieve the parts. Soak your small parts overnight, remove, wipe, and let dry. Makes them look very very nice!

-
Back