• 1967 barracuda 001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 1967 barracuda 003.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 1967 barracuda 006.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 1967 barracuda 011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 131
That's really cool to see the bonding of father and son. When growing up,I helped my dad out more than my brothers when it came to working or fixing the car or truck. Even thou it was just the basic stuff(oil changes,brakes etc.) not the car restoration or engine rebuilding. The family came first and just wanted to keep the car running good.

I can relate to what RaniDart70 is saying, as I'm not married or have any kids either to teach and pass down my car's and truck's too,plus I "try" and do the work myself as any friends of mine want to get down and dirty like me....which ain't a bad thing either.

It's great reading these stories of father and son bonding.

My dad's 71 and we're still building cars together. That's what it means in my signature when I say father/son project. My father.

Now, I'm of a certain age, that I feel the need to pass my knowledge on. While I have no living children, my nephew, Jamison, has two Mopar projects of his own. His Duster and his Cordoba that we'll be building together, too. But I'm not doing it for him, just there as a teacher and a guide to help him through it.

Mr.KrazyKuda made a comment in another thread that his mom had a 71 Satellite when he was a pup and i have heard similar comments around....i dont know who said it ....but someone's mom on this site used to drive a 66 charger with a 383......when i hear these comments i have to smile and think about someday my kids saying "my mom daily drove a 68 dart" and hopefully they will also say "and she still has it" LOL :D :D :p :cheers:

maybe off topic for this thread but it was a great thought that went across my brain and i didnt know where else to say it :cheers:

It is so cool to read all the stories. My son has always had an interest with me. His first car was a pedal car which he would wash along side us in the driveway. Somebody here wrote to stay involved with your kids and that was the exact advice we got when we were young and always lived by. We have three kids who are all gems. It was a lot of work and still is but it pays huge dividends. Stay involved! Many of our friends thought they were done once their kids hit high school- they were so wrong, that's when they need you the most. We were in Scouts, sports boosters and band boosters, went to all the games and concerts and field trips if we could. All those other families have dealt with arrests now because in high school the kids ran amuck while the parents were out partying or heading out of town and leaving the kids alone for lots of weekends. They thought we were square parents and would tease us about always being off to an event our kids were involved in.

This Satellite has a bit of a history. I drove it for a little while as my driver. I did the first rebuild of the front suspension about seven years ago. In 2007 I let my son drive it to football practice when he was a senior only to receive a call that he ran it over a curb on a sharp turn at the school and flattened a tire. I drove down to the school in pissed off dad mode with a spare and my floor jack. What I saw was two flats on the right side and a right front wheel cambered at about 45 degrees. I had to get a trailer and drag it home. He was dicking around and not watching the parking lot curb.

He took full responsibility for it and agreed that he needed to redo the front end himself. Fortunately we also had a donor car because it turned out that the K member was also toast. This was his first real lesson in cars that if you screw it up, you fix it and you can't drive it during the time that it's busted. With my guidance he redid the entire front end and also prepped the engine compartment to eventually paint the entire car yellow.

I picked up a 408 from a buddy and we put that in there for a spell and had some fun at the strip. Then the ol' Mopar bulkhead connector gremlins struck and the wiring under the dash became a glob of wire and insulation. I re-spliced everything that was fried but then work halted because my mom came down with cancer and I had to become both their caregivers. The car went on the backburner.

After she passed I had to take care of my dad and it sat. That was in 2008. The car just sat and in the mean time, the Dart came available and having always wanted an A-body, I snatched it up and restored it.

This last summer my son pulled the 408 and rebuilt the original 318. It's a dandy. He also put the dash all back together. He's only home for about a week every 5 to 6 weeks so he's been busy on it. He finally got it ready to take it off the non-op and put it on the road so three weeks ago I officially signed the title over to him.

He's grown so much since that mis-step over five years ago. He really understands and appreciates the responsibility now of owning a classic mopar. He has hours and hours in it. During this time he also had an old Toyota Forerunner while he was in school. Every time he was up to his elbows in grease working on that thing I would remind him. Stay in school, get a good job and then you can pay someone to fix your daily driver in a day if you want and then you can have your hobby car that is actually fun to work on, on your own terms.

He got his degree and got a good job and that's exactly what he can do now although he still likes to tinker with his 2008 Prerunner he bought a few months ago. The difference is that if he doesn't have the time or understanding, he can get it done by someone who does.

He just got called up to work again and has to leave Saturday. We're going to go for one more side by side cruise tomorrow for breakfast. He met me at work tonight and we hung out and talked for a bit and then drove home nose to tail. Must have looked pretty cool, two old mopars. He and I picked up a '70 bug convertible for Mom so you can bet we'll be working on that one together too.

Mr.KrazyKuda made a comment in another thread that his mom had a 71 Satellite when he was a pup and i have heard similar comments around....i dont know who said it ....but someone's mom on this site used to drive a 66 charger with a 383......when i hear these comments i have to smile and think about someday my kids saying "my mom daily drove a 68 dart" and hopefully they will also say "and she still has it" LOL :D :D :p :cheers:

maybe off topic for this thread but it was a great thought that went across my brain and i didnt know where else to say it :cheers:

Nice! I love it. My mom had a '68 Chevelle brand new. The "new" body style. She dug it because all the young guys would come up and ask her about it. She knew it was the car but it was still flattering. Great stuff!

I have 3 daughters, and a newborn son. The girls have no interest in my cars, i am hoping my son will. If he shows more than just a passing interest, and really appreciates them, maybe when he is older we can look for a used new challenger for him and i to rebuild. I feel that the cars i have are his birthright if he appreciates them, otherwise when i get too old to mess with them i will just sell em off and take my wonderful wife on some vacations LOL

very cool. My mom had a 70 hemi orange dart idk what was in it. When i was little (infant) she said the only way to get me to sleep was to drive me around the block until i passed out. i got to drive that car a few times around our property on her lap but she eventually sold it when i was in 4th grade. always wanted to get another. i have pics of it at her house some where.

Here's my youngest daughter doing her first oil change at the end of 8th grade. She just went off to college this fall. I did let her wear gloves...

fb2008051203.jpg

fb2008051201.jpg

I would like to add my son has long moved away he still stops by and helps me occasionally he still loves the mopars but the garage is just not the same ...chearish you time with your children its truly short

-
Back