Bone throwing -Turbulence with a vac gauge and porting rhetoric

-

MOPAROFFICIAL

Oogliboogli
Reaction score
As we do and learn all we can to do it ourselves... I have a moment to sip a beer and reflect. That made me wonder how much people have pursued finding out, the know. So I wondered to myself..looking back... and even now..I began to wonder what people know about.
Ever take a vac gauge and stick the hose into the port here n there? Could be...that some with a simple vacuum can figure out turbulence..and regardless of knowing the flow somewhat cure it. Fps and inches.
3" seems sweet and anything much above 3.5 is turbulent. Stable is 2"-3"
Says who? Me? Yeah.
Dogleg wall and turbulence..
Ever work the dog leg straight? Have you ever opened the lower dogleg wall 'post pinch' to the same width as the port window 'pre pinch'. How about sharpen the corners to slow the fps.
Do you use guide and hand tricks to locate turbulence? I do. I was shown by Brian @imm a neat trick to find higher than desired air speeds. It works all around the entrance finding what need to be relieved...or if its further down the port.
I moved to clay, various sizes of push rods that work like flow balls. If I think an area needs worked...clay check it... if you lose flow adding a skin of clay 'same shape' that tells you there gains there to be made.
If you open the pinch and start seeing the low lift go down... that 'might' be because the window/runner where it meets the apex isnt sized right...pinch opens and the raping of one side by the other takes place earlier..
Too many details to assume or simply chalk it up to this or that.

Thoughts? its open mic...

With today's fuel everything with serious performance is boosted. Porting is not as critical like it use to be.

As we do and learn all we can to do it ourselves... I have a moment to sip a beer and reflect. That made me wonder how much people have pursued finding out, the know. So I wondered to myself..looking back... and even now..I began to wonder what people know about.
Ever take a vac gauge and stick the hose into the port here n there? Could be...that some with a simple vacuum can figure out turbulence..and regardless of knowing the flow somewhat cure it. Fps and inches.
3" seems sweet and anything much above 3.5 is turbulent. Stable is 2"-3"
Says who? Me? Yeah.
Dogleg wall and turbulence..
Ever work the dog leg straight? Have you ever opened the lower dogleg wall 'post pinch' to the same width as the port window 'pre pinch'. How about sharpen the corners to slow the fps.
Do you use guide and hand tricks to locate turbulence? I do. I was shown by Brian @imm a neat trick to find higher than desired air speeds. It works all around the entrance finding what need to be relieved...or if its further down the port.
I moved to clay, various sizes of push rods that work like flow balls. If I think an area needs worked...clay check it... if you lose flow adding a skin of clay 'same shape' that tells you there gains there to be made.
If you open the pinch and start seeing the low lift go down... that 'might' be because the window/runner where it meets the apex isnt sized right...pinch opens and the raping of one side by the other takes place earlier..
Too many details to assume or simply chalk it up to this or that.

Thoughts? its open mic...

That is why I consider what you do as an art form. So much to it. I only stick to the simplest stuff, but it is good enough for me. I'll never boost anything or run aluminum heads. Keep it simple. Thanks!

20 thing that you try that FAIL, to find that the 21st idea That shows improvement..........Then totally F up the port with your next touch of the grinder.
That's my definition of a head porter. Especially when you start to try and change the shape of the port.

I thought about putting a fitting on my stock 340 intake. There is a hole right next to where it exits the intake and flows into the head. My thought was it there is a vacuum at WOT there. The intake/carb/air cleaner still needs work.

Maybe ask Darin why he uses a wet flow bench.......

Fucked if I know, Bubba. Fucked if I know.
BUBBA HENDERSHOT.jpg

-
Back