Book Review: The Mopar Six-Pack Handbook

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
My recent investigations into rebuilding my 6-pack led me to buy this book.

1707578873238.png

Wanna spend $40+ dollars on a book that discusses specifics of the title subject on only about 20 pages out of 250?
If you have ANY of Larry Shepherd's other Mopar books, you have everything else that's in this book. There's literally 50 pages of prepping a short block (including tossing anything original to a Six Pack motor).
No rebuild info whatsoever. Not even kit numbers for carbs.
The most basic settings info available.
No new technical ID info of any significance. No date coding. No part number ID's really. No carb circuit diagrams, no common problems. Not hose routing diagram. No year-to-year details.
Even the historical info is full of fluff and filler.

"As an original 6-bbl, you need to figure out the date it was built, somewhere between 1969 and 1971."
OK, so....how? Slow down on the details, Shep. Oh wait, that's explained VERY generically about 110 pages later.

The information is there (sometimes) if you want to dig. Be prepared to sort through the entire book reading about heads, cams, oil pans, and even chassis stuff, trying to find info specific to 6-bbl induction systems or even 6-bbl motors in general.

There's some technical value here, virtually zero restoration/rebuild value here (there's a lot, but it's all generic motor stuff and NOT specific to 6-packs), and LOTS of redundant, useless info that's covered in other books you likely already have.

Not worth the money, IMO.

I sure am glad there was a photo with caption telling me to 'torque the timing cover screws'. No specs provided, but thanks for telling me!

-
Back