Borg and beck adjusting

-

whitey66

Josh Amspacher
Reaction score
Hey fellas!
I've got a 67 dart slant 6. It has a 75 duster 833od. One of the pressure plate finger adjusters loosened up on my napa hd clutch kit after about 1k miles. I can't find much info on setting the finger height or even how much gap I should have between disc and pressure plate when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Any pointers on how to set this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Josh

Josh how did you determine the adjustment was out? I'm curious b/c I don't think mine was ever adjusted correctly from the factory.

In fact the adjustment nuts have been tack welded to the stud so I figured the wasnt any adjustment that could be done anyhow. ??

Josh how did you determine the adjustment was out? I'm curious b/c I don't think mine was ever adjusted correctly from the factory.

In fact the adjustment nuts have been tack welded to the stud so I figured the wasnt any adjustment that could be done anyhow. ??
It shifted great for a few months then it started requiring more pedal to get it into gear. Until the point where you couldn't get it into gear while it was running. It was a gradual thing. When I pulled the clutch out the fingers and friction surface of the pressure plate are uneven. The first clutch I put in this thing the adjuster bolts were tacked. But the new clutch the bolts are peened or punched. The bolts aren't even anymore either. Worse case ill try to get measurements off the old pressure plate and hope that one was setup correctly.

If it helps, on a bench I bolt a .310" spacer disc I had faced flat between the flywheel and cover plate. I use a depth mic to check height. Per MP the finger height is adjusted to 1.700".
From the MP book.............

Finger Height.jpg

0.060" is just a "starting point" for plate departure. Start low and work toward it. You don't want to bottom the fingers on the disc springs........
ClutchAdj.jpg

It shifted great for a few months then it started requiring more pedal to get it into gear. Until the point where you couldn't get it into gear while it was running. It was a gradual thing. When I pulled the clutch out the fingers and friction surface of the pressure plate are uneven. The first clutch I put in this thing the adjuster bolts were tacked. But the new clutch the bolts are peened or punched. The bolts aren't even anymore either. Worse case ill try to get measurements off the old pressure plate and hope that one was setup correctly.
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I had a heck of a time with the clutch on mine, having to try 3 kits until one worked. Granted they were all cheapies. Good luck!

If it helps, on a bench I bolt a .310" spacer disc I had faced flat between the flywheel and cover plate. I use a depth mic to check height. Per MP the finger height is adjusted to 1.700".
From the MP book.............

View attachment 1714967087

0.060" is just a "starting point" for plate departure. Start low and work toward it. You don't want to bottom the fingers on the disc springs........
View attachment 1714967088
Daves69
Dude you are righteous! That's exactly what I was looking for! thank you so much!
Josh

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I had a heck of a time with the clutch on mine, having to try 3 kits until one worked. Granted they were all cheapies. Good luck!
Yeah to be honest I never had to mess with pressure plate adjustment either. This is clutch number two for this car. So hopefully third ones the charm. Especially since I have some direction on checking it before i install it.

Happy to help Josh. Hope it works for ya'.
Hey Daves69,
Do you use loctite on the adjusting screws? It's just a cheap slanty clutch so I don't have a problem tacking the bolts once adjusted either but I was just curious.
josh

-
Back