Borg and Beck vs Diaphram

-

70DusterDev

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but on summit a RAM automotive flywheel for my 340 is saying the application is for a Borg and Beck style clutch.... now I didnt think that it mattered which style clutch it was for the flywheel because the clutch disk/friction disk itself it whats touching the flywheel. Was I mistaken?

I believe they're interchangeable. The B&B style has a higher clamping rate, so more bite on your disc. The flip side, though, is it requires more pedal effort. I personally don't know from experience, just what I've heard over the years.

I was just going to use a 10.5 McLeod or Zoom clutch with the Billet Ram flywheel. Is the McLeod worth getting for the extra $40 or is it just a name to pay for?

This may be a silly question but on summit a RAM automotive flywheel for my 340 is saying the application is for a Borg and Beck style clutch.... now I didnt think that it mattered which style clutch it was for the flywheel because the clutch disk/friction disk itself it whats touching the flywheel. Was I mistaken?

From my experience, no. IMO the B & B clutch is easier to drive smoothly. Most Long clutches have tended to be on/off deals making smooth starts at low rpm difficult.

FWIW: Back in the day, manufacturers used to put Long style clutches in press fleet cars so they would live under the balloon feet of the scribes driving them. The press, in turn, would ***** about the rough or tricky clutch engagement. Invariably, they'd ***** about clutch slippage on a B & B car unless they got to it early in its life in the press fleet.

-
Back