Borgeson Power Steering Thoughts....

-
Lots of money for something that you haven’t driven a sample of……
Yup and also something I haven't gotten a vendor to answer questions about. A stock P/S gearbox is looking better.

I just checked with Firm Feel. Their rebuilt box is $750 + core charge + shipping.
3 cars I swapped from power to manual, I didn't save a thing. :BangHead:
Oh well,, that's how it goes...

The steering shaft seal was leaking on my power box. I was thinking about doing a Steer & Gear rebuild. It was going to be about $650 before tax with exchange. A little cheaper than firm feel. I pulled the box & replaced the seal pretty easy for $5 this week. The box worked ok otherwise. I am going to put it back in. Just doesn’t seem worth it to spend that much money just to change the steering feel to something more modern.

I know this is a power steering thread but, you could add electric PS to a manual box...
EPAS - Electric Power Assisted Steering
Graft the electric motor inline with the steering column.
Requires cutting up your column or a donor column...
The motor goes inside the car, under the dash.
Boost comes from the electric motor. Looks like manual steering under the hood.
Adds load to the electrical only when power assist is needed. Many new vehicles come with electric vs hydraulic power steering. Been around for years now...

PST sells a new production 16:1 Mopar manual box for $295
No core charge.
1706749313336.png

Rock Auto sells a New Lares 16:1 Manual Box for $334
1706749911134.png

I just checked with Firm Feel. Their rebuilt box is $750 + core charge + shipping.

I was thinking about doing a Steer & Gear rebuild. It was going to be about $650 before tax with exchange. A little cheaper than firm feel.
01 CRC.jpg

Anyone that chooses a rebuilt factory steering box at those prices when a couple hundred more buys a Borgeson is really an idiot.
No matter what you do, the factory box is inferior to the Borgeson in every way except originality. The only reason to stay with a factory unit is if you're aiming for a concourse restoration and need stock appearing stuff on the car.
The Borgeson is lighter, smaller, has better feel and no slop. It has a better ratio.
Who can't scrape together a few hundred more bucks to get it right?

View attachment 1716200288

Anyone that chooses a rebuilt factory steering box at those prices when a couple hundred more buys a Borgeson is really an idiot.
No matter what you do, the factory box is inferior to the Borgeson in every way except originality. The only reason to stay with a factory unit is if you're aiming for a concourse restoration and need stock appearing stuff on the car.
The Borgeson is lighter, smaller, has better feel and no slop. It has a better ratio.
Who can't scrape together a few hundred more bucks to get it right?
Post #17 would be a person you called an idiot.

I did the opposite, and pulled the PS off my 70 Dart, and installed a manual box. PS is for grandmas and grocery getters. Save your money. .02

Post #17 would be a person you called an idiot.
A person is equally stupid when they cherry pick something unrelated to make an invalid point.
That guy wrote of clearance issues for TTI headers and Big Block conversions......on cars that never got power steering anyway.

A person is equally stupid when they cherry pick something unrelated to make an invalid point.
That guy wrote of clearance issues for TTI headers and Big Block conversions......on cars that never got power steering anyway.
I missed that part. My point is insults take the fun out of what this sport is all about and you seem to be the king

I saw nothing wrong with post #17 and although it didn't address any of my questions, I welcome any inputwhen I ask about something, because I know I may learn something from an angle I hadn't thought of.

I did the opposite, and pulled the PS off my 70 Dart, and installed a manual box. PS is for grandmas and grocery getters. Save your money. .02
Well, that's what my car is. A daily driver. It goes to church and the grocery store on a regular basis. It sees cruise ins and the occasional cruise too. Kitty doesn't have a lot of upper body strength and neither of us is getting younger. I want it to be easy to drive if she wants to or has to.

Well, that's what my car is. A daily driver. It goes to church and the grocery store on a regular basis. It sees cruise ins and the occasional cruise too. Kitty doesn't have a lot of upper body strength and neither of us is getting younger. I want it to be easy to drive if she wants to or has to.
I'm really intrigued with the electronic power assist. I have to wonder what the steering effort is like with an electrical or more so a mechanical failure.

I'm really intrigued with the electronic power assist. I have to wonder what the steering effort is like with an electrical or more so a mechanical failure.
I would be too, were I not old and set in my ways and just slap AIN'T interested in learning something new. It will be much easier for "me" to just bolt on factory stuff and call it done.

I missed that part. My point is insults take the fun out of what this sport is all about and you seem to be the king
Am I wrong?
I don't think so. I didn't know (until I read it in this thread) that the Firm Feel rebuilds had risen so much in price. That is a shock. For half price of a Borgeson, I may be able to see the value of it since they do feel tighter than a high mile stock unit. When the price is that close, it is like spending $10 for a bologna sandwich instead of $13 for a steak meal.
READ before you call someone out. When you are proven wrong, it makes you look foolish.
To reiterate in terms that will probably still offend the limp wristed snowflakes, If you are faced with the need to replace your power steering gearbox, it makes sense to pay a little more and get the Borgeson unit, especially form Peter Bergman. I have a worn out Firm Feel Stage 3 that has maybe 16,000 miles on it. Just spend 20% more and get a superior product.

I saw nothing wrong with post #17 and although it didn't address any of my questions, I welcome any inputwhen I ask about something, because I know I may learn something from an angle I hadn't thought of.
Input that helps the issue at hand should be welcomed but you often get people that chime in on topics with completely unrelated comments.
I've done it, I'll admit that.
On a tech topic, if a guy asks about steering boxes for a slant six 64 Valiant and someone complains that his big block 69 Dart had problems, it isn't helpful to the OP or any subsequent member that does a search for this specific issue.

Am I wrong?
I don't think so. I didn't know (until I read it in this thread) that the Firm Feel rebuilds had risen so much in price. That is a shock. For half price of a Borgeson, I may be able to see the value of it since they do feel tighter than a high mile stock unit. When the price is that close, it is like spending $10 for a bologna sandwich instead of $13 for a steak meal.
READ before you call someone out. When you are proven wrong, it makes you look foolish.
To reiterate in terms that will probably still offend the limp wristed snowflakes, If you are faced with the need to replace your power steering gearbox, it makes sense to pay a little more and get the Borgeson unit, especially form Peter Bergman. I have a worn out Firm Feel Stage 3 that has maybe 16,000 miles on it. Just spend 20% more and get a superior product.
I did not read the link in the post that #17 provided because big block dart is full of viruses and un-moral people. It has nothing to do with me calling you an insulter anyway. You is what you is.

1706766295995.png

If Rob wants a clean used steering box, I'm sure there are members here that would be willing to help him out. 10-12 years ago, he went out of his way to help me. I'd be willing to send him something if I had it.
I have a Stage 2 and Stage 3 but both have that dreaded center slop that makes them undesirable to many people. I wanted more precision than they offered and after driving my own car after the Borgeson upgrade, I see zero reason to use a Firm Feel or Steer and Gear unit. I'd rather take my chances with a low mile steering chuck from a slant six A body. The light cars don't put as much wear on the gear as a heavier car would and all the steering box guts seem to be about the same.

Last edited:
Back on track here. I really don't see how the reciprocating ball steering gear can be improved above the like new factory units. This is a power vs. non power discussion. I'd love the power steering option but I don't see an output improvement as far as steering wheel input is concerned. My low mileage unit is pretty tight but it sure aint no rack and pinion.

-
Back