Borla exhaust anybody?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

been looking at alot of different mufflers lately, and i really dont want to go the flowmaster route, even though they are loud...they flow like crap....Ive been looking into some other brands like DNA, Borla, Bassani, etc. and i really like the borla xr-1 mufflers...Borla has a pretty good racing history and the xr-1 muffler is their race muffler...If I was to run an x pipe with dual xr-1's dumped at the rear axle do you think it would be okay for the street? Any of you guys running Borla stuff on your cars? its not a brand talked about much here so im just wondering...I know they are race mufflers so they will be loud regardless, but thats what i want, and hopefully the x pipe will quiet it down (but the dumps wont help that lol)...anyways, just wondering whos running them and what your opinions are:cheers:

You could also look into Dynomax. Their Ultra Flo mufflers are some of the best flowing on the market and are half the price of those XR-1's. By design they are quiet at idle and cruise, but they get quite a bit louder when you step on the gas.

ive looked at them already- too quiet for me (have heard them in person as well)...the borlas flow very good as well...im looking for those who have used borlas and how they liked them

I've got stainless Borlas on my 35 Plymouth,2 1/2" full stainless dual's,no x pipe.Not sure of the model #,been on car 10yrs,love the sound,lot of positive comments.I got Flowmaster Series 40 on my Duster,sound like crap,won't use those again.

yea i think borla is kinda over looked by alot of people when it comes to performance mufflers, except for the racing guys....They flow good, last long, have a good racing history, and supposedly sound awesome...i know they will be loud (which i like) so im hoping the x pipe will quiten it enough for street use....dynomax ultra flows are my second choice- they flow good, but ive yet to be impressed with the sound (though i see dynomax now says if your not pleased with the performance or sound of them in 90 days return them for full refund)

LOL at the ultra flows being quiet. You may have listened to the normal Dynomax but you have not listened to the Ultra Flows.

We already did a thread on this. The Ultra Flows are just about the loudest and best flowing you will find.

How loud are they? I run them with stock 340 manifolds, and full TTI 2.5" exhaust. At the track my car was to loud and I was forced to make a sound pass for the track police.

LOL at the ultra flows being quiet. You may have listened to the normal Dynomax but you have not listened to the Ultra Flows.

We already did a thread on this. The Ultra Flows are just about the loudest and best flowing you will find.

How loud are they? I run them with stock 340 manifolds, and full TTI 2.5" exhaust. At the track my car was to loud and I was forced to make a sound pass for the track police.

LOL at them being loud....I have heard them on a few occasions in person and they were definatly not loud- and yes I am talking about ultra flows...definatly agree with best flowing, but definatly disagree with being loud...I guess your track is strict about sound maybe....do you have any sound clips of your car? i like my cars louder than most do- some may think im stupid for that, but i just have a taste for lots of noise8) if anybody out there runs borlas (or ultraflows too now i guess) chime in

Sorry dude. I have them. The sound levels can be found if you search for the thread. Not even a hint of quiet.

Facts are the facts, man.

The Borlas are a designer muffler. When I was in the BMW club with My M3, lots of guys had them..... But only the non track guys....

Track guys get the stuff that works well, not the latest fad.

Sorry dude. I have them. The sound levels can be found if you search for the thread. Not even a hint of quiet.

Facts are the facts, man.

i know what thread you are talking about (in fact i have that chart saved)...but to me super 40's are loud....the ultraflows are not as loud according to that chart- therefore i dont really consider them loud, especially with an x pipe which is going to quiten them down...dont get me wrong, if i dont end up going with something else i will probably go with the ultra flows for the fact that they flow very well, but ive never really been to impressed with the sound...as far as borlas go, havent heard enough from the mopar guys as to how they sound, which is why im asking here8)...designer or not they sound and flow good too, and if they are louder, all the better for me

man , I'm right there with you. I just bought another project to drop my 360 in and I'm looking for the loudest and best performing muffler I can find. I prefer loudness over performance. How about some input..?

Ooh, almost forgot about SpinTechs. You can find some videos on YouTube of some nice Mopars with those mufflers. They're supposed to flow really well and they have a really nice, loud sound to them.

spintechs are a chambered design and chambers kill power....better off with the dynomax ultra flows...Id really like to go Borla- stainless steel, they flow better than straight pipes (hot rod did a test on this with the xr-1 mufflers) and they are loud, but i dont want noise tickets everywhere i go...thats why id like to hear what you guys have to say, but looks like not many here use them...how much would an x-pipe quiet things down? i dont want to use a resonator, so my only sound deadening option is an x-pipe (power increase is a bonus)

The point you are missing regarding "how loud" will depend a lot on the cam you're running. A stock cam with be quiet with whatever you run compared to a hotter cam. I ran Ultra Flow with the factory cam and there was no bark at all, switched to a Lunati Voodoo cam and it was like open headers with the same mufflers.

Hey guys,

been looking at alot of different mufflers lately, and i really dont want to go the flowmaster route, even though they are loud...they flow like crap...

Who says they flow like crap? I have Flowmasters on both my Barracuda and my 96 Z28. They both run well. My z28 had an edelbrock glass-pack style exhaust system prior to the flowmaster. It ran like crap and had a horrible drone on the freeway. Installing the flowmaster exhaust quieted it down AND made way more power - .22 seconds and 2mph in the 1/4 with no other changes.

If you're talking about flowbench results, then flowmasters won't flow as much on a flowbench as a non-chambered muffler. They require the exhaust pulses to work properly. Last time I checked, there is no feature on flow benches to mimic exhaust pulses.

Try the 30 series flowmaster. They have less drone and make plenty of power.

I run a pair of 2 chamber Flowmasters. They don't slow me down. They are as loud as loud gets. I run a set of header collector baffles on the street, to quiet things down. When I "grudge" race I take them out. When I bracket race I run open headers. You'll see a lot of Flowmasters at the track. Just my 2 cents worth.

The point you are missing regarding "how loud" will depend a lot on the cam you're running. A stock cam with be quiet with whatever you run compared to a hotter cam. I ran Ultra Flow with the factory cam and there was no bark at all, switched to a Lunati Voodoo cam and it was like open headers with the same mufflers.

I run the dynomax ultra flow with a snotty cam and 2.5" exhaust. It sounds awesome and when you open up the 340 its bordering on too loud. I agree, with a big cam and headers they are pushing it on the loudness scale.

Have you considered Pypes? they make several A body kits and have 3 levels of mufflers to choose from. There are several folks on this site that have vids of their cars equipped with these, and they sound awesome (IMHO:-D). Just my 2 cents worth.

Flowmaster Original 40 Series.

Inexpensive, with real muscle car sound.

Got a 360 with 340 manifolds,dual 2.50" exh,h-pipe,Comp XE268, sounds bad to the bone !!!!

Dont see any reason to spend the big bucks for borla.

hey guys, appreciate all the tips....first off, i know cam choice makes a big difference- im running the mopar 484. lift cam (282 duration) so i know already im going to have a very nice exhaust note =) as far as flow goes, I am going by flowbench results, but also by many who tell of dropping their flowmasters and gaining a tenth or two on the quarter mile...Not saying flowmasters slow you down, but they do kill some power...I know they sound good, but i want sound and flow...Im not really a fan of the way the pypes stuff sounds (but ive never heard in person so cant really say)....The Borla's are loud (Maybe too loud for the street? which is why i started this thread but still havent really learned much about that) and they flow, but yes i agree they are expensive (but do have great construction and a great warranty)...I would like to try the ultra flows, but like i said earlier ive never heard a car with them that impressed me...I think we should have more mopar sound clips on this site....loud is important to me, and so is flow- so i guess this is just an opinion thread now...feel free to drop em guys =)

the few borla mufflers i have seen live have impressed me with how well made they look and feel,but i cant say much about the sound i gues they sound the same way as most other straight thru mufflers of the same size and body volume, looking forward to hear the results and a soundclip since im concidering borla mufflers also just alitle bigger ones 3½"

hey guys, appreciate all the tips....first off, i know cam choice makes a big difference- im running the mopar 484. lift cam (282 duration) so i know already im going to have a very nice exhaust note =) as far as flow goes, I am going by flowbench results, but also by many who tell of dropping their flowmasters and gaining a tenth or two on the quarter mile...Not saying flowmasters slow you down, but they do kill some power...I know they sound good, but i want sound and flow...Im not really a fan of the way the pypes stuff sounds (but ive never heard in person so cant really say)....The Borla's are loud (Maybe too loud for the street? which is why i started this thread but still havent really learned much about that) and they flow, but yes i agree they are expensive (but do have great construction and a great warranty)...I would like to try the ultra flows, but like i said earlier ive never heard a car with them that impressed me...I think we should have more mopar sound clips on this site....loud is important to me, and so is flow- so i guess this is just an opinion thread now...feel free to drop em guys =)
I have a short video of a "grudge match" I ran against my brother. '65 Coronet 3 chamber Flowmasters and my '72 Demon 2 chamber Flowmasters. I don't know how to get you to the clip, but it's in the Welcome Wagon section. Posted under: New To This Site. Second page, about half way down. Take a look. You don't have to like it, but it's classic Flowmaster sound. I also wish more members would post thier cars actually running.

I have a short video of a "grudge match" I ran against my brother. '65 Coronet 3 chamber Flowmasters and my '72 Demon 2 chamber Flowmasters. I don't know how to get you to the clip, but it's in the Welcome Wagon section. Posted under: New To This Site. Second page, about half way down. Take a look. You don't have to like it, but it's classic Flowmaster sound. I also wish more members would post thier cars actually running.

the demon definatly sounds healthy....i see so many clips on youtube and street fire of cars showing off their exhausts, but its all chevys and fords...dont see enough mopar exhaust clips, and even on here we dont have many...i know one thing is for sure when my car does get an exhaust i will take a few good quality vids and post them up8)

mshred: Yes, make sure you post the sound of your car running. Like you said, not enough Mopar exhaust clips posted here.

-
Back