borla or magnaflow mufflers blown 340 3" or 3½" ?

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
what size exhaust would be enough for a twinscrewblown 340 at about 14pounds of boost ? small solidroller 242/[email protected] .570/.576 lift ported edelbrock heads and 1 7/8" primary headers on ethanol

3" or 3½"

borla or magnaflow? i want straight thru but not sure if the packing in the magnaflows will survive the heat for very loong since this thing will be driven to the track and back and to local cruisenights alot

looking at either the 18"body magnflows or 16" body borla mufflers

i realize this wont be a quiet car by any means but trying to keep it at a level wich is tolerable

any sugestions ?

thanks

The packing will get blown right out.. use flowmaster...

I had magnaflow on my blown cuda and it was rediculous the amount of material being blown out.. We had to put resperators on at the dyno shop...

no way im running flowmaster, i tried that some years back on basicly the same engine but without the blower and i dont mind loud cars but that was ridiculus,thing ran faster without them aswell,quite a big diference when i compared to the straight thru mufflers i replaced them with..

hm didnt know magnaflow had that kind of isues, i know of some other smaller isues but thats just bad:(

Here is my 440 Duster with Borla Pro-XS Mufflers. It is a 9.3:1 440, nothing too wild but I like my Borlas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCYTEzRrpo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCYTEzRrpo[/ame]

Here it is on the first trip in to town. I got on it a couple of times, still hamering out all the kinks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsF3EEBnFoE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsF3EEBnFoE[/ame]

That sounds great ! Wish mine has as good a sound

I have 3" Borla Xr-1's on my scamp, smallest 3 inch muffler Borla makes...i have to say, they are built great, lifetime warranty, make power, and sound awesome! mine are the sportsmans which are the louder ones

Here's a soundclip i took a while back, not the best quality (had carb issues running like a bag of crap)...i have an x-pipe and dumps too...once you get over 4000rpm it goes from deep to an enraged bark...love it! lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kJ2vBmBys"]YouTube - Scamp 340 with Borla XR-1 mufflers[/ame]

here's a more recent one, helps you get an idea...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srNokY82Vn4"]YouTube - Matts new rear suspension setup[/ame]

Mshred: that sounds just right,truly the sound of a healthy motor,brings me back to late summernights watching stuff wish is not entirely legal.. will use the longer ones on my build for sure ,i cant remember your motorbuildpecs but i seem to remember that my build is slightly more agressive and that i may need alitle more mufflerbodyvolume to tame it down alitle, hope my car will sounds as mean and healhty as yours!
is the soundvolume in the car ok while driving?

BTW i also whant to thank Steve and Don at Borla for the time and advice given,top of the line people!

Mshred: that sounds just right,truly the sound of a healthy motor,brings me back to late summernights watching stuff wish is not entirely legal.. will use the longer ones on my build for sure ,i cant remember your motorbuildpecs but i seem to remember that my build is slightly more agressive and that i may need alitle more mufflerbodyvolume to tame it down alitle, hope my car will sounds as mean and healhty as yours!
is the soundvolume in the car ok while driving?

BTW i also whant to thank Steve and Don at Borla for the time and advice given,top of the line people!

thanks, i really like how it sounds...the motor is very mild right now, just a single pattern 484 lift comp hydraulic that sounds mean but is milder than child's chicken wings...the new 360 im building for the car should have me wetting my pants when i hear it through the borlas- the louder the better for me! lol

the sound in the car is pretty good, like i said its dumped exhaust, so it is louder than tails, but i dont mind...i actually have more problems with smell than noise...me and my girlfriend can carry on a conversation at normal volume driving around as long as i dont have music on or im not romping on the gas pedal:toothy10:

That does sound good. No wonder you blowed the T5. LMAO

thanks, i really like how it sounds...the motor is very mild right now, just a single pattern 484 lift comp hydraulic that sounds mean but is milder than child's chicken wings...the new 360 im building for the car should have me wetting my pants when i hear it through the borlas- the louder the better for me! lol

the sound in the car is pretty good, like i said its dumped exhaust, so it is louder than tails, but i dont mind...i actually have more problems with smell than noise...me and my girlfriend can carry on a conversation at normal volume driving around as long as i dont have music on or im not romping on the gas pedal:toothy10:

cool is the new 360 going to be alot hotter?
as long as its possible to hold a conversation without screaming im happy :) i hear you on the dumps i used to have that in 2002-2003 and im not realy a fan of it but it sure makes some noise:) whill probably have my exhaust exiting at the bumper either straight back or turned down,both looks works for me unless i get lazy and just let the exhaust exit in front of the rearwheels

That does sound good. No wonder you blowed the T5. LMAO

LOL...i pampered the bloody T5 too! :toothy10:

cool is the new 360 going to be alot hotter?
as long as its possible to hold a conversation without screaming im happy :) i hear you on the dumps i used to have that in 2002-2003 and im not realy a fan of it but it sure makes some noise:) whill probably have my exhaust exiting at the bumper either straight back or turned down,both looks works for me unless i get lazy and just let the exhaust exit in front of the rearwheels

yes, the plan is to get the 360 into the high 11's...ill be more than happy for a LONG time if i can achieve that

I think in the end you'll really like the borla's if you go with them....all my friends have big block or blower cars i.e. 572 with race muffs, 468BBC with flows, 4.6 mod with an F1 making 900hp sounding like a jet, etc...and they all were surprised how nasty my car sounded with a mild smallblock

just cant beat that MOPAR sound!:-D

good luck man! whatever you choose, post up some sound clips afterwards

Yeah...there must be more than one definition of "pampered". LMAO. Well.....you wasn't meant to have FORD parts in your Mopar anyway. LOL It does sound good though.

yes, the plan is to get the 360 into the high 11's...ill be more than happy for a LONG time if i can achieve that

I think in the end you'll really like the borla's if you go with them....all my friends have big block or blower cars i.e. 572 with race muffs, 468BBC with flows, 4.6 mod with an F1 making 900hp sounding like a jet, etc...and they all were surprised how nasty my car sounded with a mild smallblock

just cant beat that MOPAR sound!:-D

good luck man! whatever you choose, post up some sound clips afterwards

yeah mopars have a sound of there own:)
sure will post up some soundclips and pics of the whole exhaust when im done with it wich will be sometime this spring i hope if everything just starts going according to plan:read2:

I have the new HOOKERS they were tested in a mag. and outflowed everything besides the warlock muffler and sound better then my flowmasters

I have the new HOOKERS they were tested in a mag. and outflowed everything besides the warlock muffler and sound better then my flowmasters

aerochambers or maxflow? i have a set of aerochambers kind of a special sound to them, i like the sound in them,just a shame hookers mufflers are so heavy:(

btw how much power did you make? :)

Made just around 800 hp.. I hear you with too noisey.. I have absolutley huge flows.. Cant remember the model but they are designed for Rv's in 3" config.. Still so loud.. I'm a bit old for this loud car business. I would like very much to settle mine down.. Do borla have packing ?

you might want to check out classic chambered exhaust,the have some real unique straight thru designs.

Made just around 800 hp.. I hear you with too noisey.. I have absolutley huge flows.. Cant remember the model but they are designed for Rv's in 3" config.. Still so loud.. I'm a bit old for this loud car business. I would like very much to settle mine down.. Do borla have packing ?

BORLA mufflers contain high quality, austenitic stainless steel perforated pipe wrapped with several layers of stainless steel sound absorbing material and a blanket of ceramic sound absorbing, high temperature material. The stainless steel inner construction, which is impervious to all corrosive acids, protects the ceramic packing from breaking down and getting blown out, so a BORLA muffler never needs replacing. In addition, a BORLA muffler is the most effective sound-absorbing device for the size, and it is guaranteed for one million miles.

Great info on the Borla mufflers here

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/borla_exhaust_hi_pro_systems/index.html

And no I don't work for them but I do like them :toothy10:

BorlaMufflers003.jpg

BORLA mufflers contain high quality, austenitic stainless steel perforated pipe wrapped with several layers of stainless steel sound absorbing material and a blanket of ceramic sound absorbing, high temperature material. The stainless steel inner construction, which is impervious to all corrosive acids, protects the ceramic packing from breaking down and getting blown out, so a BORLA muffler never needs replacing. In addition, a BORLA muffler is the most effective sound-absorbing device for the size, and it is guaranteed for one million miles.

Great info on the Borla mufflers here

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/borla_exhaust_hi_pro_systems/index.html

And no I don't work for them but I do like them :toothy10:

BorlaMufflers003.jpg

everytime i watch that pic it makes me think i need to build a 3½" exhaust just because:)

-
Back