Borla XR-1 exhaust install

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

as promised i got some pics up of my exhaust install on the scamp. The system consists of hedman 1-5/8 headers with 3 inch collectors, into 3 inch collector extensions which then go into a 3 inch flowtech x-pipe, and finally into 3 inch Borla xr-1 racing mufflers (sportsman shorty style, louder than the multicore style from Borla) with turndowns at the rear axle. The install took all of a day and a half, but im really happy with how it turned out...used some 3 inch mandrel pipe i had lying around and the bends ended up being perfect (had to make some poor man's mandrel bends as well by cutting and bending, but they turned out good)...here are the pics (minus pics of the turndowns on there)...as you can see, they tucked up really nice, and from the side of the car the whole exhaust is almost invisible except for the collector...sound clips will be up when i get the car running right (timing issues) but it sounds BAD! very very deep at idle, but once revved up it stays deep but Barks as the x-pipe comes ot life...I love it!!!

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Looks great! Are you able to post a video so we can hear it?

unfortunatly i havent gotten any video of it running yet...Im hoping this weekend i can get er tuned up a little better, and once i do i will post the vid...sorry for the teaser, theres not many mopars with these muffs on them so i will share it asap!

Do you have pictures of how your mufflers are held up in the back? It seems like the brackets aren't there in mine on both sides (factory /6 car would only have them on one side, maybe?) and I'm about to get a TTI kit so I need to know what I'll have to do to get my mufflers hung.

hey guys, thanks for the compliments! as far as being hung in the rear, there wasnt enough of the rear seatbelt bolt threads sticking out so i drilled holes beside them in the floor pan and mounted my hangers there. Made sure the mufflers would end there, and voila they are hung!

Did you get a chance to take a video yet?

I just got done with the break in of my new Lunati cam and would like to change the exhaust.
Right now its a toss up between those Borlas and Dynomax.

Also wondering where you got those band clamps? They look really nice! Did Autozone or wherever have them or did you order online somewhere?

Did you get a chance to take a video yet?

I just got done with the break in of my new Lunati cam and would like to change the exhaust.
Right now its a toss up between those Borlas and Dynomax.

Hey man, i know sorry about this...i havent been able to get the car to idle right and i found out after talking to the guy who built my carb that i need to readjust the secondaries which i havent gotten around to doing yet since ive been doing some home reno...Give me till Friday and i promise i will get some video up...i have a friend bugging me to hear it, so when he comes by ill have him film it too8)

Also wondering where you got those band clamps? They look really nice! Did Autozone or wherever have them or did you order online somewhere?

Actually, i got them from a local truck shop (as in big rigs). Because i have 3 inch pipe, its alot easier to find clamps for them at a big rig place since they use that size pipe alot more than car places. My dad knew the guys, so i got them for 6 bucks each, and i got 6 in total...Give a truck repair place a call and see what they say...i even get my motor oil from them (They have the old shell rotella that has the high zinc content)

You will love the sound once they break in......if there new it will take 300 miles or so.....they sound great and no resonance grinding your fillings.

Enjoy and lets hear them roar.

Did you consider cut outs?

kirkracing .com.

Mop

100_2184w.jpg

they sound wicked already, so i can just imagine after they are broken in! definatly a unique sound, nothing like the typical flowmaster car imo...I did consider cutouts, but i figure if i ever really want open exhaust i can just take the system off with the bandclamps after the x-pipe

looks nice Mshred :)
would be realy nice hearing it also, since im concidering borlamufflers also!

eh guys, i went to go film the video and my batteries in the camera were dead! go figure! its gonna be nice here on saturday and ill have the car outta the garage, plus i gotta tune the carb, so i should have her running strng then and i will DEFINITLY post a video....i gotta tell you guys though, the video will not do it justice! my buddy came over to hear it, and when he did he lit up...he thinks it sounds louder and better than my buddys 600hp 468 chevelle with 40 series flows on it, and this guy is a flowmaster guy too! lol

Nice job.

Your gonna love them when your just driving around....nice and subtle...when you hammer it they sing.

By the way....electric cut outs are real handy to scare the $hizzle out of wannaraceyas that you happen upon once in a while...nothing like having a switch that allows you to tune your exhaust note.

Scares the crap out of them mustang guys when you clean it out at a light...:snakeman:

Mop

Nice job.

Your gonna love them when your just driving around....nice and subtle...when you hammer it they sing.

By the way....electric cut outs are real handy to scare the $hizzle out of wannaraceyas that you happen upon once in a while...nothing like having a switch that allows you to tune your exhaust note.

Scares the crap out of them mustang guys when you clean it out at a light...:snakeman:

Mop

yea the cutous would be nice, but damn this thing sounds mean already...i really like how it sounds revved up...

regardless though, where i live anyone will try and race you...my buddy has a chevelle with a plate reading "9secSS" and he gets kids in stock hondas trying to race him, and this is for real too...quite sad how far the ricer mentality has gone

Yes.....funny and sad.

Like a honda with a muffler is fast and furious......ha ha ha ha...sorry.

I get a laugh every time I have one of those cars pull along side me.

We used the 3" XR-1 on the Enginemasters entry , man do they sound sweet. I still have them , hopefully I'll have something to put them on in the future.

Hey guys,

i finally got some video up! the car still isnt running 100 percent (some carb issues to deal with) but i thought id video it anyways...The quality kinda got worse uploaded to youtube, but trust me this thing sounds good in person! my camera records things with a very flat eq range...like i said before at idle and up to about 3k its really deep but once you start going closer 4k and higher the thing barks like an animal and sounds real MEAN! definatly not a flowmaster or glasspak sound! i think in this vid the highest i hit was 4500rpm (tach wasnt hooked up)....anyways enjoy and hopefully it lets you guys decide if you want em for yours or not

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kJ2vBmBys"]YouTube- Scamp 340 with Borla XR-1 mufflers[/ame]

I think it sounds really good!!!!!!!!!

thanks!8) i listened to it with headphones after (crappy laptop speakers dont do it justice) and it sounds pretty good...obviously would sound better in person, but it helps you get the gist of it

like i said before, anyone thinking of putting these on their car, i dont think you will be disappointed!

-
Back