Bose speaker usage question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
Good morning,
I'm starting this post as not to hyjack RRR's subwoofer thread.
I installed a set of Bose cube speakers under my fresh air vent doors as they are small in fit decent. Like Randy I will installing a subwoofer in the trunk of my convertible to get more bass. I also picked up an amplifier. Placement of rear speakers and what to buy as not yet determined. I'll save all that for later.
Here are the specs on the speakers and they sound great but I know the ohms are probably wrong for application and maybe to low on watts. I'm guessing the higher the volume will probably distort sooner? IDK. Will the amplifier overcome this? Can filters or resistors be used? Just hoping to gain some insight on what's to come as I'm bad in this department. I will get the specs on my amplifier but here are the specs on the speakers.

• 30 watts RMS per cube
  • 8 ohms impedance
  • 200-13,000 hz frequency response
  • Two 2-1/4" drivers per cube
  • Speakers independently rotate for optional "direct reflecting" use
  • Spring terminals for speaker wires
  • Stand mountable, or wall mountable with threaded bracket
  • 3" wide x 6-3/8" tall x 4-3/4" deep
  • 2 lbs weight per speaker
1715775722404.png

Generally, the "rule of thumb" is:

8 ohm speakers will need about twice as much power from a 4 ohm head unit to sound as loud as if they were driven by a 8 ohm head unit.

I ran JBL 8 ohm 8" driver home speakers rated for 50 watts with a 100 amp car audio amplifier.
They sounded great.

However...

The speakers you have are VERY high frequency specific.

You'll likely need "mid-bass" speakers to get a full, rich sound, with or without a sub.

I have had those jewel cube style speakers in a Bose surround for years. They are awesome and really crank but the secret is the bose bass module to make everything come together from a home theater standpoint.

I have had those jewel cube style speakers in a Bose surround for years. They are awesome and really crank but the secret is the bose bass module to make everything come together from a home theater standpoint.
Hoping the subwoofer will fill that void.

You'll likely need "mid-bass" speakers to get a full, rich sound, with or without a sub.
Agreed. I was thinking of adding speaker in the upper rear of my door panels (not my door) but don't know if I can bring myself to cut the door panels. Rear location so rear passengers can hear better with the top down.

Door shell - Copy (3).jpg

Hoping the subwoofer will fill that void.
that should set you up sweet...I started in 82 with Bose 901 series iv speakers and stuck with Bose up until today with the jewel cubes. I have never even with Judas Priest cranked at maximum volume had distortion issues with their speakers. I have rattled some of my wife's curios off their shelf but no distortion. That will be a sweet system when you complete the install...Good Luck

Last edited:
Make sure your head unit can run an 8 ohm speaker, most automotive radios are designed to run 4 ohm speakers.

That shoudn't be a problem.

The problem is the other way.
Using 4 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm amp can blow the amp.

8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp just reduces the power level that the speaker "sees".
It will basically sound about half as loud.

8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp just reduces the power level that the speaker "sees".
It will basically sound about half as loud.
That's the info I needed. I don't crank the volume too loud too often, but that's why I'm going to add the amp for a little more volume and subwoofer. Thanks

-
Back