Bought another bike

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I picked up a "new" bike today. Don't worry, I still have my 1978 Yamaha DT175E too.

On my way through town I passed a second-hand shop that had a pair of vintage motorcycles outside with their other products. I turned around in a hurry and went back...

I bought the older of the 2 bikes, a 1971 Suzuki TS250 Savage

The newer bike was a 1972 Suzuki TS250 Savage. The '71 I bought needs some TLC, such as Turn Signals, Mirrors, etc (actually I got on ebay right after I bought the bike, and ordered all the parts I needed, cost me about $25 total for all the parts) I still have to order a new seat cover, that'll set me back about $50.

Runs perfectly, rode it a short distance and was impressed with the power and how smoothly it ran, especially considering that it hasn't been rode since 1981. I plan on restoring it and riding it, I might let my dad ride it if he feels like riding. Even though this TS250 is an Enduro/Street-Trail Bike, it sits a little lower than my DT175E Enduro does, which would be perfect if my dad wants to ride some time.

Sadly I also saw this (about a 1/4 mile away) 2 days ago, and it wasn't for sale.. I got the usual "I might do something with it someday" story when I asked about it

Cool old bike and looks like in great shape for its age

Had a honda SL 350 and love the look of those old bikes

I look every now and then for a yellow green, (don't know the name of the color) 73 SL 350 to see if I could find one like my old bike

Cool old bike and looks like in great shape for its age

Had a honda SL 350 and love the look of those old bikes

I look every now and then for a yellow green, (don't know the name of the color) 73 SL 350 to see if I could find one like my old bike

Yeah, the biggest problem with the bike, is the fact that it was missing the turn signals, headlight and one mirror (looks like someone removed them on purpose). And that wasn't an expensive problem to fix

I was impressed when the shop owner said "The one pointing toward the store will fire right up, go on out and fire it up." I saw the 1981 Pennsylvania Inspection Sticker on the fender and doubted it would fire right up. Flipped the Choke on, gave it 2 kicks and it fired up, shut the choke off and it purred like a kitten.

I got on my phone, checked the value of the bike in its current condition and the availability of parts, turned around and pulled the $350 out of my wallet for the bike. I only regret not buying the 1972 that was parked beside it. I could of bought both bikes (together) for $600 and the '72 had all of the lights, but leaked some oil. Quite literally, as I was riding the '71 out of the parking lot someone else pulled in at that exact moment to buy the remaining bike.

I used to have a '74 Honda CB200 and a '69 CB350, kinda wish I would have kept those bikes too. My dad gave me the 350 (and like a foolish teen, I used it for a project that got scrapped), and years later someone paid me $20 to haul their CB200 up out of their basement and take it away. I literally got paid $20 to load a motorcycle in my truck and haul it to my house :glasses7:

Wildcat- can set you up with a '74 CL 360 in color you like.
6 gears instead of 4. Runs like hell.

Why do they say they might do something with it someday?? They aren't going to do anything with that car!

Look at it, what a travesty.

Congrats on the zook.

Anyone know where to find a 6 Volt 25W/25W Low/High Beam Headlight Bulb for a vintage-almost antique bike?

This thing uses an ancient headlight bulb (unknown part number, since the bulb and socket are missing). I'd even settle for a 6 Volt 25W/25W Sealed Beam if I could find one (headlight would have to be about 5.25" or so)

While we're on that subject, anyone know of a supplier for 6 Volt LED Turn Signal & Tail Light/Brake Light Bulbs. I bought new Turn Signal Assemblies and what not, but obviously they're for 12 Volt Bikes, so I need to replace the bulbs in them with 6 Volt versions. If I'm buying new bulbs for the 6 Volt setup, I want LED's so that people driving 4 wheel death cages can actually see me on my little motorcycle.

I don't know what the 6 Volt Bulb Numbers would be, but the sockets are identical to 1156's (Turn Signals) and 1157's (Tail/Brake Light). Obviously those are the 12 Volt Bulb numbers, and the 6 Volt setup uses different numbers (but the same style sockets)

Used to have a suzi dual sport 175 - it had 2 sets of gears... it had a lever on the trans that you kicked..you to chase my son on his dirtbike through pits and trails..later the track..when he moved up to a KTM65, I had to buy a different bike to keep u with him..

Also had one of Honda's early cb350s...purple..a lot of fun..

I am not allowed to wear a helmet anymore..

Thanks for the memories..

ian.

I'd love to find a deal like that on a TS-250, or TS-400. I've got a 74 model TS-185 that's in really nice shape. I've got the top end off of it to bore it out, but hope to have it back together soon. Congrats on the great deal on a nice bike! :prayer:

-
Back