Bought & Installed Reproduction Roof Latches

-

Old Moparz

Reaction score
Just bought a pair from Mega Parts for $125 + $10 shipping & installed them last night in my Satellite. They are pretty nice.

The latches are listed as fitting A, B & C Body cars so anyone with a Dart will be interested.

I was in a rush to get them installed because I was running out of daylight so I didn't get side by side photos of the originals & the repros together. The chrome finish is very nice & they move freely & smoothly. The hook is not an exact match, but the rest of it looks like an original part. I do believe the old hook will fit the new latch, but I didn't try since mine were worn.

They are from Taiwan like everything is, but they are also less than half the price of what some vendors are selling them for. One vendor sells these for $149 per latch & PG Classic Parts sells them for $239 / pair, & we all know those are from China. After I bought them I see that Classic Industries sells them for $99 / pair. I assume that there aren't multiple manufacturers, but I may be wrong. I thought I got a good deal on them anyway because they were packed well, arrived on Monday after only having ordered them last Thursday.

The old ones I had in the car were cobbled together from several sets I found over the years & were a bit worn. One of the previous owners of the car must have had some serious latch issues because there are holes drilled all over the front edge of the roof frame & also on the top of the windshield frame. My guess is that they used a bunch of brackets to keep the roof attached to the windshield frame. I forgot to look to see if Mega Parts sold the anti-rattle clips so I don't have new ones yet. Their website shows them for $19 / pair & they are going to be at Carlisle so I will get them when I am there.

I know a few of the members on here have ragtops so I thought I'd give a thumbs up on the latches from Mega Parts. If I get some time over the holiday weekend I may pop one back out to compare them side by side & get more pics.

Attachments

• Ragtop Latch 04 a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 234
  • Ragtop Latch 05 a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 230
I just bought a pair from Year One. They won't be installed for quite awhile though. They are $49.99 each from Year One. They had a 30% off Father's Day sale. I got them for $34.99 each. Can't beat that!

Layson's also has new sun visor mounts. They ran a special awhile back but I wasn't ready to buy at that time. I'm hoping they go on sale again soon. Carlisle or the Nats maybe?

I just bought a pair from Year One. They won't be installed for quite awhile though. They are $49.99 each from Year One. They had a 30% off Father's Day sale. I got them for $34.99 each. Can't beat that!

Layson's also has new sun visor mounts. They ran a special awhile back but I wasn't ready to buy at that time. I'm hoping they go on sale again soon. Carlisle or the Nats maybe?

I read the older thread about the Year One latches & see that the shipping is pretty high, & a while back they were back ordered for months. I can't remember the last time I bought from them, it was probably when they used to bring the parts to the swap meets.

The sun visor mounts are what I really need, mine are shot & the spare set is too. I'm going to hunt for them now, thanks. :D

By the way, you should install them as a test fit, the driver's side went in a lot easier than the passenger side with mine & I am not sure why. Took some removing & realigning a few times. It may have had something to do with the things done to the car by one of the previous owners, but could also be variations in the castings of the latches.

I bought the latches and an engine harness. Shipping was $17 which I thought was fair. They had everything in stock. Normally I don't buy anything from them either...except wiring harnesses.

I haven't even messed with the top frame yet. Kind of nervous about it actually. I'll have to take many pictures before disassembling it. It doesn't fold up as much as I think it should. It sits kind of high above the quarters.

Thanks for the Layson's link, but I compared the two visor mounts for A & B Bodies & they are different. Oh well, at least I now know. :banghead:

Attachments

• A & B Visor Mounts.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 180
-
Back