Bow Tie Question

-

The Sasquach

Reaction score
I have never been into Chevys but in my dealings trough the years I have acquired a few things including a '49 Chevy 3100 pick up and a '69 350HP 396 engine. I have decided not to build the '49 and am planing on trading it off. but the 396 from what I understand is an engine of interest to the Bow Tie crowd. My question is do I sell it as a rebuildable engine or would I be better off rebuilding it stock and selling it for a higher price. The block, heads, and intake are all correct '69 350 hp 396. Is this considered a rare engine these days, Is there a big restorer scene in the Chevy world, Would there be a demand for a date correct combo like this? Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. David

Get the block numbers.Passenger side,small 1"by 3" pad.Should have a 2 or 3 letter code.It is worth way more to restorers,in untouched form.Run that number by your favorite engine builder shop.They can look it up for you.Yes it is valuable,if original.Hopefully its a Chevelle/El camino/Camaro engine.

Yes and no, it's just a 396 350 HP, if it was the 375 or the 375 with aluminum heads, that would be a different story. It also depends on the what the motor came out of (camaro, Chevelle, impala, etc..) and the numbers and letters on the block would tell you that. Your best bet is to sell it as a complete core to somebody.

Get the block numbers.Passenger side,small 1"by 3" pad.Should have a 2 or 3 letter code.It is worth way more to restorers,in untouched form.Run that number by your favorite engine builder shop.They can look it up for you.Yes it is valuable,if original.Hopefully its a Chevelle/El camino/Camaro engine.

So the letter code will identify the model it originally came in? It will be Sunday or so before i can get to look for that code I ran the casting numbers on the block , heads and intake to get the info I have. David

It is a start.Get ALL of the casting numbers on the heads and block.One will be the casting date.Another thing to look at is the 8 to 10 digit casting number on the bellhousing end of the block.Can't remember witch side,drivers I think.396 blocks aren't common anymore.

It is a start.Get ALL of the casting numbers on the heads and block.One will be the casting date.Another thing to look at is the 8 to 10 digit casting number on the bellhousing end of the block.Can't remember witch side,drivers I think.396 blocks aren't common anymore.
The 396 is actually quite common (they are the same as the 402, just that the 402s are an over bore) the uncommon and highly prized motor is the 427.

Trust me,I ran a 396/412 when done.They are hard to find If it is a trus pass car block.427 s usable cores are nil.been there, done that.Just for kickers,my 3800 El Camino ran 13.22@116 with a square port 412/410s and a 4800 stall.They run well set up.

Trust me,I ran a 396/412 when done.They are hard to find If it is a trus pass car block.427 s usable cores are nil.been there, done that.Just for kickers,my 3800 El Camino ran 13.22@116 with a square port 412/410s and a 4800 stall.They run well set up.
Guess it all depends on where you live, I find them all the time and just pass right over them. The only Big Block Chevy that perks my interest are the 427s, why because you can make them scream! I guess its the same as why build a 318 over a 360 but here would be why build a 396 when you can build a 454. All about what you prefer.:burnout:

Its all good,someone offered me a very healthy 396 for 7 bills,including headers and intake.In 1994,I made 9.00 an hour.How do you pass it up.My engine builder has a Diamond -Elkins prepped 427 he bought in in 77.Still waits to run again.If I can't have a Mopar,I go b.b.chev.

That's why I was inserted in the restorer aspect of Chevys. I know in our world if you have a Big Block car With no engine the next best thing for a restorer is a correct date code engine of the correct performance level. I'm assuming the Bow Tie bunch feel the same way. To Be honest I may still build it stock and sell it. engine building is better than psychotherapy to me.

That's why I was inserted in the restorer aspect of Chevys. I know in our world if you have a Big Block car With no engine the next best thing for a restorer is a correct date code engine of the correct performance level. I'm assuming the Bow Tie bunch feel the same way. To Be honest I may still build it stock and sell it. engine building is better than psychotherapy to me.
Even if you build the motor you'll actually lose money. Why because if you choose the wrong parts or buy the "good" stuff, you'll end up selling for less then what it cost. That is unless you already have all the parts or can get them at great discounts. The best way is to sell it as a complete core (if its running the more you'll get for it) and let the new owner build it to their wants/needs. That said, it never hurts to have a working BBC to stuff and in SBC GM car and sell it that way.

I am the same way Sas.I call it theripeutical cash spent.Some restorers like original stuff,kind of like finding a rust free cuda shell with faded original paint.Minimum,2k to do it mickeymouse.Run the numbers first.

I guess I could build it and drop it in the '49 pick up make it drive able and leave the body as found in the field, no glass and rusty. talk about a Rat. lol David

-
Back