Brake Auto Adjusters

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
Hi all, I can across a 8 3/4 rear end that I'm going to put in under my 71' Demon. The measurements suggests it a rear end out of 68' to 70' B body. I believe it has 11" brakes. The brake don't have auto adjusters. I thought someone didn't know what they were doing when they did a brake job, and left parts out. I have since found out that they didn't use auto adjusters in taxis. Is that true? If so why? Can they be swap over to auto adjusters? If you can where can I get the parts that I need? Thanks for you help

My 68 Coronet RT had 11x3 drums up front, 11x2.5 drums out back. All manual adjustments, no auto adjusters. That's stock. IT looks a little strange, but 1 heavy spring crosses the top of the adjusters, keeping pressure on the spurs so it doens't turn. The spurs on the adjuster are much larger than the self adjusters. The self adjusters also have a sawtooth direction to them, the manual adjusters do not.

There's nothing wrong with either system. Keep the manual adjusters. IF you need the auto type, go to an autoparts store, they should list both. Make sure they are for 11" brakes, not 10".

-
Back