Brake light switch part missing?

-

kemikal embalance

Reaction score
Am I missing a part? Ive got to be missing something. I didn't take this out of the car, my son did. So I'm not sure if something got lost or got lost longtime ago.

What engages the switch? Is there a bar or something?

thank you in advance for the help.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

That is your back up light switch.

And yes you are missing the plastic post that actuates it..

Screenshot_20220131-185552.png

I am out right now but can get you the part number when I get back.

Google 2883211

The small post presses into the larger post to lock it in place. ( Like a wall anchor)

Screenshot_20220131-190309.png

I dont think you will find one and they are not reproduced. And be sitting down when you see the price if you find one.

Screenshot_20220131-193618.png

Could you remove the shift tube and have a nut or the like welded onto the tube.

If so that would be a perminant solution.

Good luck

Last edited:
You can edit that. Look for thread tools on the right under the title

I think Brads is your best bet for stock look even though the originals were milk colored and most likely Brads will be black.

For the life of me I don't see how the metal ones could be installed, UNLESS they are intended to be installed from inside the shift tube and the ears ride on the steering shaft to keep it in place.

Holy crap man I used all the wrong words when I was looking stuff up. Im sorry. Thats what happens when you over multitask.

Thank you for the reply and the help.

I think Brads is your best bet for stock look even though the originals were milk colored and most likely Brads will be black.

For the life of me I don't see how the metal ones could be installed, UNLESS they are intended to be installed from inside the shift tube and the ears ride on the steering shaft to keep it in place.
I thought the same thing. Whatever was in there is long gone now so I assume it was a plastic one and it gave out years ago. Ill have to figure something out.

Thank you for the help. Im a better painter than a googler.

If you can get a NOS you can put the pin in from outside the column.

I requested a photo.

There is a link to request a photo.

At 55.00 it's just more than 1/2 what I paid for the NOS I bought a few years ago.

It will last you 50 years or more that's about 1.00 per year, not bad.

I bought a NOS one years ago. It was so brittle and stiff that I figured even if I could install it without dropping the steering column, it would snap off pretty quickly. I actually dropped it into the column tube, never to be seen again.

-
Back