Brake lights turning off and on in the driveway

-

bisblue

Reaction score
Just looked out the window and watched the tail lights come on and then go off a few seconds later. I'd driven the 74 duster over got it so before. No one Stole it, so I'm assuming something electrical.
Any ideas? One side of the turn signal switch is busted.

You brake light switch needs adjusting. My 67 dart did the same thing toll i adjusted then no more issue

Clarify,

Brake or tail lights giving issues? Your post title says brake lights but your post seems tail lights.

my van was doing that for a few weeks. it started right after i replaced the right front turn signal lens. that wasnt the problem. i got pissed and smacked the brake pedal hard. has'nt done it since.

I had a master cylinder cause the brake lights to stay on. After a while it would release while setting.

Check out the brake light switch as suggested. It either needs adjusting or replacing.

upload_2019-2-8_23-0-36.png

My dad and a number of shops could not figure out why the brake lights would come on all by themselves. he ultimately added a brake pedal return spring (read... screen door spring) to pull the pedal up away from the master cyl and into the brake switch. When I saw the spring I said "That's not right" and removed it only to find the brake lights coming on at odd times. I contortioned my big old gut and all under the dash and found the adjuster bolt and moved the switch closer to the brake pedal when the pedal was in its natural resting position. No more ghosts in the car!

My best guess is that some aftermarket master cylinders have a deeper recess for the pushrod to go into and subsequently allow the brake pedal to sit lower that stock OR the switch adjuster just migrates over time OR replacement switches don't have the correct pushrod length!

WHO KNOWS!

On a side note if adjusting it doesn't fix it try another switch.

Good luck

My dad and a number of shops could not figure out why the brake lights would come on all by themselves. he ultimately added a brake pedal return spring (read... screen door spring) to pull the pedal up away from the master cyl and into the brake switch. When I saw the spring I said "That's not right" and removed it only to find the brake lights coming on at odd times. I contortioned my big old gut and all under the dash and found the adjuster bolt and moved the switch closer to the brake pedal when the pedal was in its natural resting position. No more ghosts in the car!

My best guess is that some aftermarket master cylinders have a deeper recess for the pushrod to go into and subsequently allow the brake pedal to sit lower that stock OR the switch adjuster just migrates over time OR replacement switches don't have the correct pushrod length!

WHO KNOWS!

On a side note if adjusting it doesn't fix it try another switch.

Good luck
Thanks, it looks like the PO havg it a tune up after it sat 20 years, I think a matter cylinder was one of them

-
Back