Brake pad recommendations?

-

mvh

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for high performance brake pads for the original K-H brakes?

I am running Raybestos "Professional Grade" Organics (PGD11), which are fine for driving around, with good bite, but faded badly in the mountains on the California Melee last year. I swore I would get something harder before repeating that experience.

Condran says to avoid semimetallics because he's concerned about rotor wear, but now that rotors are available relatively cheap, I'm not worried about that. I'm even willing to use something really aggressive and just swap them back out after the rally.

Summit shows a Power Stop Z26 Extreme Performance Semi-metallic (PWR-26-011) at $71.39, but they are not in stock. Someplace that Google turned up called Autoaccessoriesgarage.com lists them at $44.87.

Summit also has house brand Ultimate Performance Ceramic pads (SUM-19-011) at $39.95.

I just was informed that Firm Feel lists carbon metallics at $75.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

if you want a good pad check out Ferodo's VSD line. they come in a black and red box and are a graphite metallic. you can check for a parts plus supplier in your area or allied auto stores. great wear, stopping, and they don't fade out like the organics.

i would go with ceramic, do a search on ceramic vs metallic brakes and you can read the pros and cons..

...are they available for 67-72 Kelsey-Hays 4-piston calipers? That's the question. That brand hasn't turned up in my searches so far. But I'll check the Ferodo site, if they have one.

PS: I can't find any listings for Ferodo pads for Plymouths. If they make them they are certainly hiding the fact...

if you want a good pad check out Ferodo's VSD line. they come in a black and red box and are a graphite metallic. you can check for a parts plus supplier in your area or allied auto stores. great wear, stopping, and they don't fade out like the organics.

...I had done a little reading on this, and I just found 2 online articles on the subject. It seems as if ceramic is a newer technology that OEMs are adopting to replace semi-metallic. There was some disagreement whether it increased or decreased rotor wear, but that isn't really a concern of mine, since Summit now carries relatively inexpensive rotors for our cars.

i would go with ceramic, do a search on ceramic vs metallic brakes and you can read the pros and cons..

I tried Perfomance Carbon Friction Metallic pads on a 66 I used to have. The work great ONCE YOU GET SOME HEAT IN THE BRAKES. Those first few stops would require extra muscle and/or distance. Since mine was a street driven car, I went for the organic pads without problems.

Might I make a suggestion.

Increase airflow over the rotors. 2 possibilities, either ditch the "dust" shields, or if you want to keep them I have seen someone get 2 small 45% 2" elbows from the muffler shop, and they drilled corresponding holes in the dust shield, and welded the elbows onto the "dust retaining shields" with the other end facing forward, so the non welded elbow is literally scooping and forcing air against the backside of the rotor.....

I have pondered the issue of venting air directly onto the rotors.

Another option I thought of was louvering the dust shields, as it could be difficult to find a location for a "scoop" that doesn't interfere with the steering or sway bar.

BTW, I went with the Summit ceramic pads. In limited street use so far they seem to bite OK when cold. I'm used to high pedal effort since I have manual discs with the stock big-bore MC.

I manually adjusted the rear brakes out while I was at it, and now the pedal is high and rock hard.

Might I make a suggestion.

Increase airflow over the rotors. 2 possibilities, either ditch the "dust" shields, or if you want to keep them I have seen someone get 2 small 45% 2" elbows from the muffler shop, and they drilled corresponding holes in the dust shield, and welded the elbows onto the "dust retaining shields" with the other end facing forward, so the non welded elbow is literally scooping and forcing air against the backside of the rotor.....

I am using Raybestos PG+ semi metallics in my 68 Barracuda (73+ disks). I have always been very happy with them and I still am in the Barracuda. I am using ceramic pads in new cars and would in the Barracuda if I could find them.

Try TireRack.com, they have a huge selection of brake pads and rotors, don't know what they will have the the KH brakes.

I have pondered the issue of venting air directly onto the rotors.

Another option I thought of was louvering the dust shields, as it could be difficult to find a location for a "scoop" that doesn't interfere with the steering or sway bar.

Would there be clearance directly under the ball joint?
I personally ditch the shields, as they retain all the brake dust and force it forward on the wheels, plus the reduced air flow.

Here yall go, I found these 2 online as well ...thank me later!

EBC-DP31157C EBC Redstuff 3000 Series Ceramic Brake Pads
Brake Pads, Redstuff, Ceramic, Front, Set $105 at summit

Hawk Performance Ceramics
Price: $104.00 (axle set) at tirerack
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Manufacturer Part #: HB471Z.510

Hawk and EBC are excellent brands. I sell a ton of both. Hawk is my preference over EBC. Hawk has several different compounds to choose from, from HP street, up to Ceramic.

-
Back