brake problems. need so advise.

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded my brakes on the 66 cuda.I used the MP adapter block for the new master. I switched from the single reservoir master cylinder to the weightweight aluminum master cylinder and double reservoir from a 87 diplomat. I added a new junction block for the brake lines and a wilwood proportioning valve for the rear brakes.
I have bleed the brakes till I am blue in the face and can't seen to get a firm pedal. I used the stock brake pedal rod with the new master. Do I need a different brake pedal rod? Am I not able to use the new master for manual brakes? Looking for help. thanks

Just a thought... I've done it before when I was in a hurry... Are the Calipers on the correct sides to where the bleeder screw is on top of the caliper and not the bottom? If it's on the bottom, there will still be an air pocket no matter how much you bleed it, thus having a spongy pedal!

You also really need to bench bleed a new MC. If you didn't bench bleed it, that's probably your issue.

My best guess is the rod is too short for the dual master cylinder,not enough travel to work both circuits.

Also check your wheel cylinders. If one is leaking, it doesn't matter how much you bleed the brakes, the pedal will always be soft and there will always be air in the line.

Thanks for the input. I bled the master cylinder and then I checked and I did have my calipers reversed. I installed the scarebird front caliper kit this week also. I swapped my calipers around and i now have brake pedal again. Gotta wait till the wife gets home to do the final bleeding but it is much better now. The old girl just might make it to the Mopar Nats next week.(old girl reference to the car, not the wife)

-
Back