brake question

-

db's demon

Reaction score
I did a search but can't seem to find the answer,... so here goes on my 72 demon 340... which came with power disc brakes can I use 70 -72 drum brake upper and lower control arms? my complete k- member is gone , I have one upper control arm is all that is left.I want to put disc brakes back on. Thanks in advance. :burnout:

The upper control arms are different from drum to disc because of the ball joint size.

The control arms will be the same along with the upper ball joints. The lower ball joints and the spindles will have to be for the disc setup. The upper control arms did not start changing until 1973 on the A-bodies.

The control arms will be the same along with the upper ball joints. The lower ball joints and the spindles will have to be for the disc setup. The upper control arms did not start changing until 1973 on the A-bodies.

My mistake, you are correct. It's the lowers that are different.

Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes were available on A bodies from '65-'72. The disc brake specific parts were lower ball joints, spindles, bearings and seals, calipers, rotors, and brake hoses. The upper and lower control arms were the same for all brake applications (9" drums, 10" drums, discs). The only differences in the lower control arms occurred when the car was equipped with a sway bar or not, and that was the lack or presence of a sway bar tab on the control arm. If you still have the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. then it may be cost effective to go that route. If not, you would be better off and money ahead to swap to the '73-'76 A body disc brakes. You will need upper control arms, spindles, bearings and seals, rotors, dust shields, calipers, lower ball joints, brake pads, and brake hoses. You will have much better parts availability for replacements later on and the initial buy in is less than finding the parts for a Kelsey-Hayes set up. The only draw back is the switch to 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle from the 5 on 4" that you now have. The savings on the parts will more than likely pay for a new set of wheels. Just my $.02.

Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes were available on A bodies from '65-'72. The disc brake specific parts were lower ball joints, spindles, bearings and seals, calipers, rotors, and brake hoses. The upper and lower control arms were the same for all brake applications (9" drums, 10" drums, discs). The only differences in the lower control arms occurred when the car was equipped with a sway bar or not, and that was the lack or presence of a sway bar tab on the control arm. If you still have the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. then it may be cost effective to go that route. If not, you would be better off and money ahead to swap to the '73-'76 A body disc brakes. You will need upper control arms, spindles, bearings and seals, rotors, dust shields, calipers, lower ball joints, brake pads, and brake hoses. You will have much better parts availability for replacements later on and the initial buy in is less than finding the parts for a Kelsey-Hayes set up. The only draw back is the switch to 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle from the 5 on 4" that you now have. The savings on the parts will more than likely pay for a new set of wheels. Just my $.02.
I think you have very good advise,but once I found my build sheet I am trying to go all original Thanks DB

There was a couple of members on here just a couple weeks ago who were selling their KH brake stuff, both for very reasonable prices. One was $300.00 and the other was $450.00. Both posters had just taken them off and were on running driving, and more importantly, STOPPING cars. Look through the "For Sale" section and go back a couple pages, they were posted on here for a couple weeks each. Good luck with your search, Geof

If you get a KH setup be sure and use the stainless steel pistons for a caliper rebuild. Pistons were bad to pit and cause sticking problems. That was what caused most of the problems early on.

-
Back