Brake Tee on Rear Axle and Hardware?

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Folks:

Someone screwed up the mounting of the brass "gold" tee on the rear axle of my 1968 Dodge Dart SL-6/225 ci. Here are my questions:

(a) what size bolt in diameter, length, and screw pitch goes through the tee and screws into the rear axle (0EM from the factory)?
(b) should there be a vent as part of the bolt system?
(c) why do we need a vent?
(d) is their an assy that contains the bolt and vent??

Long story........but it looks like someone tapped the hole to 7/16 in diameter to match tee hole diameter and I removed a partially screwed in 3/8 in bolt to secure the tee. The tee is bouncing and flopping around and is a real hack so will fix it right. The threads are screwed up also in the axle.

Thx....a stupid problem as you can see........MOPAR Gods please help.

Love MOPAR...Love my DART.....Thx and appreciate the help.

(a) what size bolt in diameter, length, and screw pitch goes through the tee and screws into the rear axle (0EM from the factory)?

Mopar Rearend Vent Bolt

(b) should there be a vent as part of the bolt system?
Yes, see above

(c) why do we need a vent?
If the rear was sealed as the rear heats up from use etc. the oil and air expands and then would pressurize the housing and tend to force oil out through the seals.

(d) is their an assy that contains the bolt and vent??

Yes, see above

As for the hole being too big, first get the correct hardware, than you can decide if you need to get a fitting to put into your housing.

Just confirmed. machine screw thread, 20 threads per inch, 7 /16 dia

16545563314432399365159161549421.jpg
16545563594431328104241582734361.jpg

Caliper is set to 0.500 inches, 10 threads =20tpi
PXL_20220606_225447310~2.jpg

Last edited:
I can attest to the necessity of a functioning axle vent. Mine became clogged from years of gunk, unbeknownst to me, and blew out my axle seals.

Ford's of the day actually ran a hose from the vent "T" hollow bolt up into the frame.

You could get your axle deeper in water without water getting in.

Screenshot_20220606-171026.png

Treed me, Dana
But you found the " T" on Dr Diffs site that I could not find.
So it was a joint effort and corroboration.

You know when you have a what happens if I stick my finger in there moment...

Just had a what if I blow air through the breather bolt moment.

Turns out there is a spring loaded valve at the end. After just a little bit of blowing force it pops open. BUT if you suck on it no flow at all! Who knew!

I guess when it cools down air is sucked back in past the axle seals.

Last edited:
Mopar Rearend Vent Bolt

Yes, see above

If the rear was sealed as the rear heats up from use etc. the oil and air expands and then would pressurize the housing and tend to force oil out through the seals.

Yes, see above

Just
As for the hole being too big, first get the correct hardware, than you can decide if you need to get a fitting to put into your housing.

Just confirmed. machine screw thread, 20 threads per inch, 7 /16 dia

View attachment 1715938432 View attachment 1715938433

Caliper is set to 0.500 inches, 10 threads =20tpi
View attachment 1715938434

Just realized I have a "vent" already on the axle. Its a small air scoop pointing to the rear. Axle was painted black so never noticed it before. Now I have 2 vents?? Looks like bolt size is 7/16 x 20 so will insure hole is ready for vent and bolt assy from Dr. Diff. Thank you so much.

-
Back