Brake upgrade on a 65 cuda

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I am working on a 65 barracuda that my dad gave me. So far I have got the car running and drove it up and down the road. I'm now wanting to rebuild the front suspension. I am looking at getting the Scarebird disk brake upgrade for the front. They have two different options on there page. One upgrades the bolt pattern to a 5 on 4.5". I emailed them and they told me I would need custom hubs to use the 4.5" kit. The price is a big difference. So I could really use some guidance.

These are the two different kits:
1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "A" body, with 10" drums to 4-1/2 bolt pattern disc Wheel Kit

1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "A" body, with 10" drums Wheel Kit

Don't know what the Scarebird kit (s) cost but why not use factory 73 thru 76 front disks? You can usually find a complete set up for sale with a little patience and you can even upgrade to B body 11.75" discs with the correct caliper adapters and rotors. You will need the large ball joint upper A arms, spindles, rotors, calipers and adapters. This will also give you the 4.5" bolt pattern. Just did a quick search for "mopar disc brake conversion" and got pages of offerings. I did this to my 65 Cuda years ago. It's all a bolt on swap. If you specify '76 calipers you will get a 2.75" piston which are larger than the earlier years.

Last edited:
Personally, if you are going to rebuilt the front suspension with new bushings, ball joints, etc, I would go with the readily available 73-76 A Body disc set-up. Pick up a pair of the spindles and caliper adapters from another member (I see them advertised all the time) and pick up the rest of the stuff at your local parts house.

Yes, but... That particular kit is advertised as B body discs. B body rotors are 11.75" not 11". A body discs are 10.87" There are some great articles on the conversion, one of the earliest and best is "Disc-O-Tech" by Richard Ehrenberg. I highly recommend you read this before spending a penny on anything. There are many sources for kits now available using all new parts vs having to find and recondition used factory parts like we did years ago. All depends on your budget and mechanical abilities.

-
Back