Brake Vacuum Pump Help

-

d Dartman

Reaction score
I picked up the Dart from the shop yesterday after a motor swap and the brakes are terrible. I took the 318 out and installed a 408 stoker with Eldebrock 750. This engine has lower Manifold pressure and I need to install an Electric Vacuum Pump to assist with braking.

What pump are you guys using and did it help?

if he wants to stay with power brakes it maybe his choice, for my father which is disabled we choice to upgrade from manual drum brakes to power for him because it was like trying to stop the flintstone mobile. it had all new brakes but took alot of effort to stop

if it has a 408 motor it should already have disk brakes and good working disk brakes take very little effort to stop, no need for power brakes, remember power brakes will not make your car stop any faster than manual brakes, (if it is a leg strength problem due to injury illness or age then a power buster will help IF you have already converted to disk brakes and IF you are using the correct master cylinder)

Car has front disk with rear drums. Remember that I said, I had an engine swap. The Internet is a dangerous place for an unskilled beginner, but I found this off an engine builders website:

"With the "Rough" idle cam, the vacuum will be under 8". For these engines A 2800 RPM or higher torque converter is recommended and a vacuum canister or electric vacuum pump may be necessary."

I was thinking of this kit:
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/69A3151A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct

Try a vacuum canister first. I used one on my 81 Malibu cop car.
350 with a 513 lift cam and not much vacuum. Really helped out.

a manual brake disk drum master cylinder is under $50 and can be installed in 30 minutes it is simple and will solve all your problems, adding an expensive electric booster is just spending money and complicating things, manual front disk brakes work GREAT on A-body's

-
Back