Brake woes '67 Barracuda

-

DarthSwinger

Reaction score
Hey,

I had some leaking wheel cylinders, so decided to change them out. Got 2 done so far on the right side, bled the system (which is a pain on the front) and I no longer have good pedal feel. it goes straight to the floor unless I pump it a couple times. The car rolled in with decent brakes, just leaky, and now they're gone. thoughts? maybe a master problem? the only thing that changed is new wheel cylinders. :/

Travis

How did you bleed brakes? You have air in the system. You need two people to do it one to pump pedal and hold down while other open bleeder valve and repeat. Make sure you keep brake fluid in master cylinder.

I would replace all 4 cylinders before I jumped to any conclusions. If 2 were bad enough to leak, why would you assume the other 2 were good?

I will replace all 4, but i'm just curious why i'd have good brake feel with 4 old ones, and lose it with 2 old and 2 new. I was bleeding with two people like normal. always fluid in the reservoir. I'll try it again, it feels like air is in the system until it's pumped up. i guess replace the other 2, then bleed the whole thing again.it's probably just one of the lines that was broken loose isn't quite sealed up.

Sounds like some air is still in the sytem.

Sometimes when you bleed them and the Master cylinder is old you can get to aggresive with the pumping and damage the seals in the master as they move past the bore area that they have not traveled in. I like to gravity bleed them first when the system components are well used and a piece is replaced like a wheel cylinder.

You didn't get all the air out when you bleed them....

Sounds like some air is still in the sytem.

Sometimes when you bleed them and the Master cylinder is old you can get to aggresive with the pumping and damage the seals in the master as they move past the bore area that they have not traveled in. I like to gravity bleed them first when the system components are well used and a piece is replaced like a wheel cylinder.

that sounds like the best explanation of what's going on. thanks for the input.

that sounds like the best explanation of what's going on. thanks for the input.

Before you run out and get a new master.

Did the wells go dry why you were changing the cylinders? If not give it some gravity bleeding, and or use a vacuum method and see if it gets better.

If they did you may need to pull and bench bleed the master very easily with short strokes or do it on the car. I would rather pull it then take the chance of getting fluid all over the place.

-
Back