brakes are boggleing me as well.....

-

moparPW200guy

Mopar freak!!!!
Reaction score
i am really beginning to hate my 71 dart factory power disk brakes with 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes cals...... i had a caliper freeze on me about a year and a half ago and since then i have replaced the cals with the newer ones off my scamp, 3 master cylenders, new rear shoes and wheel cylenders, checked the flex hoses ( which were good), and it just wont stop right. i can hold the pedal to the floor, give it some gas and roll with the brakes applied!!! this car used to be able to stop ona dime and now its just not working right..... i have had it into my mechanic several times and he said thats how its supposed to be. he installed a MANUAL drum MC only because it wouldn't stop at all with the disk MC.... does this make any sence????? could it be the prop valve is giving me problems????

also does anyone know where i can get good quality INEXPENCIVE cals for this car?????

thanx guys!!!!

I noticed in another post of yours you spoke of blowing off the
vacuum caps on the carb as well as the plug on the booster.

Are you getting good vacuum to the booster?

Did you check the booster itself?

onehellofadart said:
I noticed in another post of yours you spoke of blowing off the
vacuum caps on the carb as well as the plug on the booster.

Are you getting good vacuum to the booster?

Did you check the booster itself?

when it runs right i have good vacuum. i asked my mechanic bout hte booster but he said its fine.... how would i check it to make sure it is????

Use a hand operated vacuum pump with a gauge on it. Hook it to the booster and pump it down to 15 inches and let it sit. It should not leak down even after a few hours. Then press the brake pedal, it should use some but not all of your vacuum. It takes 2 or 3 strokes on the brake pedal to use it all up.

well i put a hand vac pump on the booster and within 20 min i had lost an inch. first hit on the pedal dropped it down to 2 inches of vacuum so i think the booster is shot. is my thinking right???? also would a sudden vacuum loss like that cause whats going on with the caps??? also how hard would it be to change this to manual disk or would that even be adviseable???

-
Back