Brakes supposed to ride on "hub"??

-

demon700

Reaction score
I just put the calipers on my 71 demon, and the pads looked like they were pretty straight forward, but the outside pad sits on the hub. The inside sits on the spindle, correct? the outside pad sits in the caliper, but when the caliper is put on, the pad falls onto the hub part of the rotor. This doesn't seem right. If anyone has any pics of how the pads sit in, it would be appreciated. I didn't have pads when i got the calipers, so I have never seen them in. Thanks for any info.

Jeff

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of a problem that your having from reading your posting. :dontknow:

But will this picture of a pair of calipers help you out at all?

It sounds like you have wrong pad with caliper. We need pictures. The calipers two types either made with a flat on top for a tab on each end of pad, or the caliper has tapped hole for bolt that holds pad with holes in it.

yeah, its hard to explain in just words, the car is an hours drive away, i'll gets pics next time i am out. The pads that I bought for that year (74 dart i was told it was) came with a short pad that had no ears and seems to fit beautifully in the piston side of the caliper, and a longer pad with ears on it. The ears fit the caliper, but there is no way to hold it into place. So when it is flipped upside down and placed over the rotor, it slides down and sits on the section of rotor that your wheel bearing is in, and your wheel studs come out of. It is obviously not right, I will get a few pictures next time I am out. Thanks for the help folks.

You should have some clearance between the hub and the bottom of the caliper On my Duster, I guesstimate I have about 3/8" - 1/4" of clearance from the top of the hub to the bottom edge of the brake pad when installed. As for the clearance from the hub to the bottom of the caliper, I would think that you would have at least 3/4" - 1" of clearance to work with.

I think you are saying you have big bolt pattern disc brakes from a 74 Dart on your 71 Demon.

Two totally different pads.

Wait a minute here. Are you working with single piston calipers, or the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers that i posted a picture of in my other reply.
Big difference between the two styles.

I think you are saying you have big bolt pattern disc brakes from a 74 Dart on your 71 Demon.

Two totally different pads.

Thats correct, I bought the whole set up from a fella with a 74. I then bought the pads for a 74 dart, but nothing says they gave me the right ones, its happened before. The caliper sits with plenty of room between it and the hub, its almost like the ears on the pad arn't wide enough, there is enough space for the pad to slip down (while still being in the caliper) and rub in the top of the hub.

I have single piston calipers.

-
Back