Break-in Oil

-

03JeepJeep

It's a hoot!
Reaction score
I'm getting close to buttoning up my Magnum built and I was wondering what kind of break-in oil and what weight do you folks suggest.

Thanks!

For the first start you might want to use a bottle of Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus + Lucas SAE 20w-50 High Zinc - Engine Break-In Oil or any other manufacture's break-in oil with Zinc + a extra bottle of High zinc. You can not have enough Zinc protection while breaking in the new engine parts. Then you can use any oil of you choice!

I'm going to use comp's 10w-30 break in oil. Did well with my flat tappet bet it will be more than sufficient with the magnum roller and will also help with setting the rings.

I just filled my rebuilt 340 up with Comp cams 10w30 break in oil.

No need to go overboard on the zinc with a roller cam. If it were me, I would pick whatever was on sale and add half a bottle of STP oil treatment and call her done. You're gonna dump it out after break in anyway. No need to break the bank.

Had outstanding results with JD break in oil on farm tractor years ago. Just using it 20 minutes a day in winter to feed. Never had time to get hot.
Only had about 1000 hours on complete rebuild. Anyway,had slow anti freeze leak, not enough to notice. Weeks later Weather warmed, tractor smelled hot, gauge showed cool,kept running. Damn thing smells really hot, it was. Used oil after that. On advice used breakin oil under load for 50 hours. Did not use oil again even when I sold it years later !!!
Yote

rusty, what`s the stp do for break in ? super lubricant, or good for wearing in of parts ? never hears that for break in.

It is very high in zinc. ZDDP to be specific. That's why only 1/2 bottle. A flat tappet motor I would use the whole thing.

Torco BR 30 and don't look back. Well worth the cost. Do some research.

LAT makes a good break in oil as well. Not a fan of additives.

Penn Grade 30wt for break in,dump it and Penn grade 10W30 for driving.I like to use oil that has the zinc already in it.

-
Back