Break in question . burned paint?

-
Looks like I can get Autolite 3926 which is just hotter that 3924

That carb is just for the run stand to get the motor broken in and leaks fixed. I have the Holley super sniper efi and hyper spark ignition and coil ready to go but I do not have the fuel pump for that setup yet

That carb is just for the run stand to get the motor broken in and leaks fixed. I have the Holley super sniper efi and hyper spark ignition and coil ready to go but I do not have the fuel pump for that setup yet

Our combinations have some similarities. That is a small cam for the CI and Cylinder head. It's gonna work and will be an evil torque monster. We are using the same engine management also and I will be starting mine with a 950 qft to make sure I get a clean break in and then go to the sniper with hyperspark.

JW

The cam is designed for the addition of nitrous for the track as well street-ability. Hopefully, it works for both.

Okay understood and thanks, it was a head scratcher until you threw the idle speed and vacuum numbers out. Definitely have a vacuum leak. But at any rate when you get the coolant temperature up to 190-195 degrees, that spark plug should be hot enough. It's just not reaching self cleaning temperature in that aluminum head. Are you checking the upper hose temp with the temp gun? Get your coolant temperature up into and your tune-up set up right and the plugs should burn off. When adding fuel and oxidizer, you usually need a step or two colder on the plugs to prevent detonation. I definitely would not go hotter, that plug is equivalent to an RC12Y champion.

Okay understood and thanks, it was a head scratcher until you threw the idle speed and vacuum numbers out. Definitely have a vacuum leak. But at any rate when you get the coolant temperature up to 190-195 degrees, that spark plug should be hot enough. It's just not reaching self cleaning temperature in that aluminum head. Are you checking the upper hose temp with the temp gun? Get your coolant temperature up into and your tune-up set up right and the plugs should burn off. When adding fuel and oxidizer, you usually need a step or two colder on the plugs to prevent detonation. I definitely would not go hotter, that plug is equivalent to an RC12Y champion.

Coolant temp and spark plug temp are not related. Two entirely different things.

You are correct in that the plug he has should be hot enough. But more coolant temp won't change the plug temp.

512 rb 175 compression in the non burnt cylinder. Carb. 750 holley. torker 2 manifold....

Ever flowed a torquer 2 , a lot of variance from runner to runner . I got one down to 25 cfm diff. , and I`m no expert .

Ever flowed a torquer 2 , a lot of variance from runner to runner . I got one down to 25 cfm diff. , and I`m no expert .
I never have and do not have the ability to do so. If it does not run well on the stand I will change the torker2 to something else before going into the car. Hopefully fixing the vacuum leak will help as well as new thermostat to get the coolant up. I never mentioned that the radiator is a giant 29 inch griffin. I have squeezed it into the engine bay of the 73 scamp but not with the engine in place.

I fixed the vacuum leaks and changed the thermostat. Now we are able to get the coolant temp up to 190-195 and the paint is burning off the cylinders. All cylinders on the right side were 450-520 exhaust pipe temp when I checked them. Before I could not get some of them up past 300*.

Great job! I would love to hear it when your able to idle on down. Is the next phase getting it in the car or are you going to set up the super sniper first? That's a much better exhaust header and coolant temperature temperature for that engine. Sounds great, BTW!

Today we worked on putting the rear end in. No engine tuning. We have not decided whether to install the motor or put the sniper on the runs stand. Thanks for the help. @Garrett Ellison

We got it to idle at 800rpm smoothly, only 12.5in hg vacuum at that. Idled smoothly and revved nicely. Still have an oil leak that we will tackle next.

-
Back