breaking in motor w/ no fluid in converter

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
I started the motor last weekend w/ 3.5 qts of trans fluid in the pan (none in the converter). I ran it for 2 mins at 2000 rpm. The trans took about a quart so it now has 4.5 or so. I want to run the motor for 30 mins tonight to break it in. Will the trans be ok if I leave it in park and add fluid as it takes it? I don't have a drive shaft so I don't want to run it through the gears (no resistance on trans and worried about throwing the yoke out). Any thoughts?

If you leave it in Park you should be OK. Just dont shift it. Motor can run Fine this way. Remember that if the tranny is in park the yoke will not move and as you say just add the fluid till you have in it what it needs. Good Luck.

If you leave it in Park you should be OK. Just dont shift it. Motor can run Fine this way. Remember that if the tranny is in park the yoke will not move and as you say just add the fluid till you have in it what it needs. Good Luck.

NEUTRAL! Torquflites take up fluid in neutral. (It's why the dipstick says check in neutral). Anybody wanna ask why I know this?

So, I'll have the trans in neutral, never shift gears, add fluid as it needs and the trans and converter will be fine for the 30 mins that I run the motor?

Ya missed an important step. After starting the engine you're going to shift from park to neutral which will go through reverse. At that time the tranny output shaft will turn (you did say that the drive shaft is not on) and this could cause the tranny spline/yoke shaft to walk out of the tail housing and lose oil. So what I would do is get some heavy wire, coat hanger, and wire the tranny yoke so it can't turn or slide out of the tranny. Even if you can start in neutral wire her so she can't slide out.

I'll start it in neutral. But I will take your advice and put a safety wire on it. Thanks

It's still going to spin even in neutral, just the inertia of the moving mass will turn the output shaft with no load on it. Why can't you put the driveshaft in?

How bout this... I'll slide a steel bar through the eyelets of the yoke and set a jackstand under each end of the bar. How's that for rigging something up?

-
Back