broken 1/4-20 Tap -->Smog Hole

-

kfrese

Reaction score
Broke off 1/4-20 tap in smog hole on by 318 head today. First hole of the day and well, I read this was going to happen. Guys, it broke off flush, and well, what can I do? Would this actually seal the hole well enough that I can just leave it in? Could I possibly fill the very small spaces between the flutes on the tap with a sealer or something? I was successful with the other holes with set screws. Please any suggestions.

Broke off 1/4-20 tap in smog hole on by 318 head today. First hole of the day and well, I read this was going to happen. Guys, it broke off flush, and well, what can I do? Would this actually seal the hole well enough that I can just leave it in? Could I possibly fill the very small spaces between the flutes on the tap with a sealer or something? I was successful with the other holes with set screws. Please any suggestions. Thanks:banghead:
weld it closed. Grind it smooth and roll with it

its so hard that its brittle, you may can take a small punch, and ball pein hammer to break it out. or, slap some jb weld around it. that may seal it.

Use a tap extractor and take it out.That is why they make them. I can get you pics of one if you don't know what they look like. Or you can do a search on the web

Use a tap extractor and take it out.That is why they make them. I can get you pics of one if you don't know what they look like. Or you can do a search on the web

Tap extractor? Will have to do a search for one.....when ever I have busted a tap I usually take a small punch and hammer to it....Ok....found one, how in the hell does it work?

Attachments

• tap extractor.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 208
Tig weld a Nut to it. It will come right out. As soon as the cherry red goes away, put a wrench on it BAMMM, Done!

if it doesn't need to come out weld the gaps of the tap and call it done,

if it does need to come out like said weld a 3/8 nut to it; let it cool and try and turn it out

it's doing what you were aiming to do: Plug the hole. Why the hell fight getting it out?

If welding is an option, weld it shut and file it as needed for clearance. It's cast iron but it's no structural weld; you're just plugging it to keep the noise down so you can keep the beat to your Kid Rock records. I wish to God that shuttin' up the ex-wife was so simple.

No welder? Blow a load of JB-Weld in it and praise the Lord it broke on the last hole. Take the money you saved on set-screws and buy a tap alignment-jig so you quit breaking taps.

m_424.jpg

If you wanted to try and drill it out, it is possible. Use a concrete drill bit. They have carbide tips and will chew right down through the tap. I broke one off inside the head on my truck before and had to use a 90 degree drill in tight quarters, but it worked like a charm!

it's doing what you were aiming to do: Plug the hole. Why the hell fight getting it out?

If welding is an option, weld it shut and file it as needed for clearance. It's cast iron but it's no structural weld; you're just plugging it to keep the noise down so you can keep the beat to your Kid Rock records. I wish to God that shuttin' up the ex-wife was so simple.

No welder? Blow a load of JB-Weld in it and praise the Lord it broke on the last hole. Take the money you saved on set-screws and buy a tap alignment-jig so you quit breaking taps.

m_424.jpg

Tap alignment jig?? Another thing to look for....

Tap extractor? Will have to do a search for one.....when ever I have busted a tap I usually take a small punch and hammer to it....Ok....found one, how in the hell does it work?

We always used those things at work, had our taps in a drill to chase the holes in the locomotive cylinder jackets real fast. Some numbnut would tighten the drill chuck too much, tap would hit the bottom, and instead of slipping in the drill...snap! Depending on if the tap has 3 or 4 "flutes", you pick the appropriate one, slide the little metal fingers on the tool into the flutes on the side of the tap, slide the collar down to make it all tight, and start twisting it out.

At home, I get out the air chisel and punch lol.

Tap alignment jig?? Another thing to look for....

You should hang out in tha machine shops more, my little ink-infested buddy. Come to KC some time, and we can roll. :burnout:

-
Back