Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud

-

jar84203

Reaction score
Is there a good way to remove a broken exhaust manifold stud on a 225 slant six at home, or will it need to be removed by a machine shop? Thank you.

kdk_0591.jpg

I ground mine flat, center punched it started small and kept drilling bigger till it was almost gone then ran a tap down it and it cleaned it out to the existing threads. (everyone sain i just got lucky though)

That's the front of the motor so you will probably have to move the battery or use a short drill. Get yourself some Easyouts from a tool store . Then drill a small hole (.187 will work fine) and put the Easyout in the hole and give it a light tap with a hammer, turn the easyout and the stud should come with it . Be sure and clean the hole out good and use some silicon on the new stud .

Steve

I had the same issue, I placed a washer over it and hammered a nut on the stud. Then I welded the nut to the broken stud, put a wrench on it and out it came!

I'd try the welding a nut on before drilling and the easy outs. I tried an easy out on a similar bolt that was broken off inside the block on my lawn mower and that snapped.

Your pic isn't to clear but it looks a to be just below the surface. Also the head appears to be still on the engine. Still in the car? The welding fix is a good one. If you have access to a mig even better. Center a washer over the hole/stud, weld the washer to the broken stud. It may take a couple of tries to get the weld out to reach the washer. Slow and easy. Try to get a good initial bead(penetration) on the stud. When you get to the washer use the thickest one you can find. the hotter you can get it now the better. Lastly weld a nut to the washer. give it a couple of minutes to cool and work it back and forth with a wrench. Most of the time it will work on the first try. If not do it again. The heat of the weld helps loosen the stud and break up the rust and gunk on the stud.

Good luck.

As a footnote, clean the end of the stud as good as you can. Weld will stick better. Maybe heat it with a torch to clean it if you have one.

Welding the nut to the stud is genius! Took a few tries but was successful...thanks to all :toothy10:

I can't remember where, but the notion of welding a nut onto a broken stud got recognized as one of those brilliant ideas. It might have been Hot Rod, or maybe even Popular Mechanics, but whoever came up with that idea is a flippin' genius

say the manifold is still on,would it possibly work if after running motor to operating temp,to stick a small chisel thru the stud hole to the broken stud and make a slot in it for a straight screwdriver??

Highly doubtful. It would require a lot of torque to free the seized stud, more than a slot could handle in my opinion. Is the stud broken below the cylinder head surface?

it broke level with the hole,as i was tightening it,i just replaced the gasket..it is the very first bolt at front of motor,i went ahead and buttoned everything up,and so far no leak..

Ideally you'd want to fix it but if it's not leaking maybe it'll be okay. On mine one of the studs in the middle is missing the triangle washer and nut but there is no leak either.

I had another one that broke inside the hole, or I thought so, except what I did not know at the time was it was an allen head that was stripped out in the center.
I had to drill a hole in the inner fender so I could drill it out.
I ended up getting an easy out to work it out from there, I should clarify, the first one broke.

-
Back