Broken Neutral safty switch

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
When i got my cuda the safty switch wasnt plugged in. So yesterday after i got my guage cluster to get power :notworth: finaly, i cant turn the car over by key so my dad and i thoug maybe its cause the switch isnt plugged in, i got under the car to inspect and what i though was the plug, but i figured it wasnt cause it didnt have 3 prongs on it. Today i got an email from jim thanks man, and saw where the switch plugs into, this confurmed it, where my plug is suppost to plug into on my trans is broken. 2 of the prongs are broken off, and the one i believe the bottom is bent way down. So now that i figured that out how do i bypass this switch, i want to be able to turn the car over by key...duh :silent: and its annoying to have to whip out a screw driver to turn it over :cwm10: , how can i bypass this which one of the 3 wires do i have to connect together, my dad says he has done it before on his trailblazer, but i want some info from you abody guys first :thumblef:

It's very easy to jump this switch but a bad idea Jack. Go out to a wrecker or trans shop a get a used one! Some trans places will just let you have it for a thanks..

Just like said above or go to the autoparts and spend the $12 before somebody gets hurt or even worse.

That's why its called a safety switch. :thumblef:

actually my dad mentioned i could just swap it before i asked about wiring it up. why is it so bad to not have it, why would you wanna start the car in gear, my dad just wired his up cause the plug was so bad. but anyways i have plenty of mopar trans setting around we found one today but it had like a plastic ring around it, so it wont work :cwm10: and i found another one on a nother trans, but that is for my dads challenger, obviously cant use that, i'll keep searching around. :salut:

how hard is it to swap my dad said all you do is unscrew it and screw the new one back in. and trans fluid will come out...sounds simple bummper i just filled the trans

Your dad's right. It's a peice of cake to change. If you can jack up the car from the driver side only so the fluid will run over to the passengers side that will help so not as much will run out. Just be real fast when swaping it out and you won't loose alot of fluid. Have a shop towel handy too. You shouldn't loose over a half a cup or so. If your using a newer 3 prong switch in an older trans that originaly had a single prong switch just hook up your wire to the middle prong and it will work fine. The outer prongs on a 3 prong switch are for the reverse lights.

It is VERY important to have also. A good example is when I first got my Cuda the netral switch was bypassed and I didn't know it and I was installing a stereo and had put the shifter in low to get under the dash to hook up the stereo wires and forgot to put it back in park. Well it set a couple of days and I came out to work on it under the hook and was bumping the starter over and it fired a little and almost ran over me and hit the workbench before it died. Neutral saftey switch important. YES!!!

wow i see what you mean i'm glad your ok fishy :salut: the trans has a 3 prong and i am going to install another 3 prong, thanks for the tip of jacking up one side :thumblef:

Try it in neutral. If that works it may be the shift linkage is out of adjustment. If that don't work it could be a wiring problem leading from the switch to the starter relay or the starter relay is bad. It is also possible the starter is bad but it sounds like you have turned it over with a screwdriver and if that is the case that would rule out the starter.

Check for continuity across the switch pins to ensure the switch is good. When the shifter is in park you will get a meter reading. If not..the switch is bad or the internal componates of the trans are not making contact with the switch button on the bottem of the switch. If all is fine with the switch and you get a reading/deflection on the meter....You have a wiring problem. So confirm your switch is OK first :salut:

69signetv8 said:
Check for continuity across the switch pins to ensure the switch is good. When the shifter is in park you will get a meter reading. If not..the switch is bad or the internal componates of the trans are not making contact with the switch button on the bottem of the switch. If all is fine with the switch and you get a reading/deflection on the meter....You have a wiring problem. So confirm your switch is OK first :salut:
Very good suggestion Sig. I totally missed the easiest and first thing to check. Shame on me.

-
Back