Broken yoke bolt

-

shadango

Reaction score
Crawling around under the car today sortig things out I found that someone snapped oneof the yoke bolts on the 8 /34 rear.

Nothing is sticking out.....

What is the easiest way to repair this? Easy out? (Really small one!)

Hey, good to see a classic in your avitar. Looks much better than the Dgo. Still not an A-body? :-D JK. If you are a slick weldor, I like welding a appropiate nut on and wrench out. If not, drill and easy out. good luck8)

Been there, done that. I used small drill bit and an easy out. Good luck.

Well, I have a welder.....but sure if I am good enough to weld something to it.....the remaining bolt is below the surface of the yoke....:angry7:

And the broken surface is slanted so I guess it will be lots of fun to drill.....

I did learn that I have a 741 case, 2.76 gears, non sure grip.

I guess pretty much the lowest of the 8 3/4 but at least its an 8 3/4...LOL

Try using an automatic center punch to get it punched right dead center. Then use a left handed drill bit, 1/8" bit at first then step up to a 3/16". Allot of times the left handed drill bit has grabbed onto a broken bolt and backed it out for me without having to use a EZ out. Whatever you do be careful not to break off a drill bit or EZ out in it or you'll be buying a new yoke.

Thanks guys.

Kicker is that the other three are smooth as butter....LOL.....

I hate using EZ-outs as a rule, but in this case I'd drill a small all the way through. (It shouldn't be a blind hole) Heat the outside of the clevis with a torch (oxy-acet) until just starting to get red and shoot WD40 into the threads and work it out carefully with the EZout.

I hate using EZ-outs as a rule, but in this case I'd drill a small all the way through. (It shouldn't be a blind hole) Heat the outside of the clevis with a torch (oxy-acet) until just starting to get red and shoot WD40 into the threads and work it out carefully with the EZout.

Bad thing is most yokes are blind hole threads.

Thought I would followup, after all the great advice I got here.....

I was putting this off cause I figured it would be a nightmare.....

Well, I was about to dive in with a drill but decided to give the welder a try.....squirted some PB blaster on it first and let it soak....then found a flat blade screwdriver that fit the width of the broken bolt.....

It took me 3 or 4 tries but finally got the screwdriver welded to the bolt....

IT BACKED RIGHT OUT!!!!!!!!

I am grinning ear to ear on this, guys.....I am new to welding and had my doubts...but it worked! Easy as pie. A new bolt in its place and now ready for the shaft!

Man, that feltgood to get that done without too much hassle at all!

Thank guys for the advice! :hello1:

When I used to work on Big machinery, in the old days, we always heated the broken bolt first by welding a nut or stud to the end. The sudden shock of the arc welder 9 out of 10 times loosened the bolt on it's own.
I would recommend replacing all 4 bolts, if you haven't allready and I believe they need to be grade 8.

Terry

"beginner's luck" -- I guess......or maybe the car is good luck for me.....I am usually not that lucky! LOL Thats why I was kind of expecting a real hassle.....I was trying to decide whether to pull the chunk from the car to do the drilling ( so I could get a better attack on it) and decided to try welding first.....

Man, that welder is gonna pay for itself!

RE: Replacing bolts -- yeah, I have to pick up two more....they have them in a kit -- two bolts and a strap -- at advance and autozone in the 'help" section.....

I actually got some stuff done on the car today --- got the yoke bolt done , got the steering wheel and a used signal lever I got on ebay installed (looks like I do need to rebuild the shaft union/connector in the engine bay) and got my fuel line from pump to crb planned out and a wire coathanger bent as a template so I can have Napa bend me one.....also measured the heater hoses....

Felt good accomplishing something not work related...LOL

"beginner's luck" -- I guess......or maybe the car is good luck for me.....I am usually not that lucky! LOL Thats why I was kind of expecting a real hassle.....I was trying to decide whether to pull the chunk from the car to do the drilling ( so I could get a better attack on it) and decided to try welding first.....

Man, that welder is gonna pay for itself!

RE: Replacing bolts -- yeah, I have to pick up two more....they have them in a kit -- two bolts and a strap -- at advance and autozone in the 'help" section.....

I actually got some stuff done on the car today --- got the yoke bolt done , got the steering wheel and a used signal lever I got on ebay installed (looks like I do need to rebuild the shaft union/connector in the engine bay) and got my fuel line from pump to crb planned out and a wire coathanger bent as a template so I can have Napa bend me one.....also measured the heater hoses....

Felt good accomplishing something not work related...LOL
Ha! Pulling your chain shadango. Nothing ever goes easy for me either. Glad you're getting something accomplished. Keep at it. Before too long you'll be cruisin' down the road.

Good deal Shadango. Glad you got it easy. Sometimes you get lucky like that and sometimes even for a pro their not easy. Sounds like a good learning experience.

Made you think did`nt I:poke:fine job:cheers:

:notworth: Yep...your advice was ringing in my head as I was laying under the car thinking about pulling the chunk out so I could at least work on it on my bench. Then I looked to the side and saw the welder sitting there....LOL

I figured I could screw up the yoke pretty easy if I tried to drill the bolt out...I dont always have much luck drilling out bolts....so I figured try the welder first.....

Tell ya what, that welder has saved my cookies a couple times already....well worth having!

I am sure I will run across some problems with this car that will be tough to fix...but at least this one wasnt!:cheers:

And yeah, I did learn something too.

Actually, the car is a great learing experience so far.

-
Back