Bronze gear necessary??

-
You'd think they would? Looks like a nice little roller though. By the time you buy that, a set of Morell hydro roller lifters, push rods, and roller rockers.....the pocket gonna be empty! That's the route I'm thinking on the motor for my 65 Barracuda though. :eek:

Go to the Q & A section & ask if it's billet Or not. Just FYI, I always run a bronze gear with my roller cam, cheap insurance.

Go to the Q & A section & ask if it's billet Or not. Just FYI, I always run a bronze gear with my roller cam, cheap insurance.
what if it's a daily driver and going to see a lot of miles. Do the bronze gears hold up ? They wear quickly, right? this is in a '93 5.9 motor and I just pulled the distributor and found it has a bronze gear mated to the comp cam listed in first post. I think the bronze fits a little loose to the cam, causing concerns. I wonder if a stock magnum gear/shaft would work?????

Last edited:
what if it's a daily driver and going to see a lot of miles. Do the bronze gears hold up ? They wear quickly, right? this is in a '93 5.9 motor and I just pulled the distributor and found it has a bronze gear mated to the comp cam listed in first post. I think the bronze fits a little loose to the cam, causing concerns. I wonder if a stock magnum gear/shaft would work?????

Is that in the van? Crane cams had a coated steel gear that was supposed to work with billet cams. I am not sure if they still make them.

If the cam is out, you can take a stone and just break the sharp edges on the cam gear, and a good bronze gear will last a long time.

Is that in the van? Crane cams had a coated steel gear that was supposed to work with billet cams. I am not sure if they still make them.
If the cam is out, you can take a stone and just break the sharp edges on the cam gear, and a good bronze gear will last a long time.

Sorry, I just have to ask, which project is that going in?
This is in the van, installed by previous owner. I pulled the distributor today and saw the bronze gear. Started to do my homework - verified that it was a billet cam. I don't think bronze is best for a lot of road use....

Not according to the article. It says that once that a billet cam has established a wear pattern with a bronze gear that a meolonized gear will cause accelerated wear on the cam and gear. But maybe make a call to comp to see if it's an iron cam gear and get their opinion? May make for a great excuse to step up to a more aggressive roller grind, if the budget allows...

Not according to the article. It says that once that a billet cam has established a wear pattern with a bronze gear that a meolonized gear will cause accelerated wear on the cam and gear. But maybe make a call to comp to see if it's an iron cam gear and get their opinion? May make for a great excuse to step up to a more aggressive roller grind, if the budget allows...
lol... I don't want a bigger cam in the Van. In fact, I may just pull this cam and put a factory roller from a '89 LA in it with a factory gear drive. I don't like hog-wash type of scenario's like this. Stuff like this aggravates me. Why not just make the roller cams to install and use a normal gear.

Leave it alone.

Cam has to be new when mated to a coated steel gear and they are forever married.

I run one 'crane coated steel'. Works great and its nice never having to think about it.

Leave it alone.

Cam has to be new when mated to a coated steel gear and they are forever married.

I run one. Works great and its nice never having to think about it.
you run what, the bronze distributor drive gear?

I have got a little bigger one from comp, the XR286HR-10.....used it for a while in my 408. Definitively cast core, no problem to use the stock distributor drive.

Got pictures of yours?

Michael

I have got a little bigger one from comp, the XR286HR-10.....used it for a while in my 408. Definitively cast core, no problem to use the stock distributor drive.

Got pictures of yours?

Michael
I know my cam is billet - so bronze is recommended or composite. However, once the gear on the cam has worn to a gear - like mine with bronze, they don't want you changing to composite as it will where the cam to a new pattern, basically wrecking the cam gear.

I would call Comp and just ask. I think the cam gear is made for the regular steel gear. Computer Controlled 210/220 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler Magnum
This is the one I am running. Shows billet but takes steel gear. I had the same concerns as you and after a bunch of research this is what I found. I did not read the link about oil pump gears but brass is softer than steel. I would use a treated steel gear. Just my thoughts.

I just dug out my old Comp catalog. All of their solid rollers, street and race have ft. note #5, which in this catalog is “ Requires distributor gear upgrade”.

None of the hydraulic rollers, part # 20-745-9 included, have that note.

Crane part # 69970-1
Summit has them about $90.
ok, I called Comp Cam and they said "bronze or melonized" is what works with their cam. I called Crane and verified this gear that Mopar Sam listed was melonized. They said it was. 90 bucks is high, but it's better than a cam swap in a van. I think this is the route I'll go. Order placed. Thanks for the part number Mopar Sam! :)

ok, I called Comp Cam and they said "bronze or melonized" is what works with their cam. I called Crane and verified this gear that Mopar Sam listed was melonized. They said it was. 90 bucks is high, but it's better than a cam swap in a van. I think this is the route I'll go. Order placed. Thanks for the part number Mopar Sam! :)

Wow! You would think they would put that in their catalog.

Glad I could help on the gear#.

Wow! You would think they would put that in their catalog.

Glad I could help on the gear#.
Previous owner took the van to Florida and back. When I pulled the bronze gear out and re-installed I thought there was excessive slack. That would give inconsistent ignition timing. This is precisely why I never quite investigating somebody else's build. He didn't use the wrong gear for the cam, he used the wrong gear for his intended use for the van.

I was looking at this Crane gear for a new billet camshaft I have.
Are you saying you ARE going to try running the melonized Crane gear on your billet camshaft that already has a bronze gear wear pattern?
I am curious to see how this works for you, since Crane says not to do this. I hope it works.
Also, crappy that Crane does not offer this with a shaft installed. You have to transfer it onto your old shaft. So now I need this gear for $90 plus whatever a hardened shaft from Mopar costs these days.

I was looking at this Crane gear for a new billet camshaft I have.
Are you saying you ARE going to try running the melonized Crane gear on your billet camshaft that already has a bronze gear wear pattern?
I am curious to see how this works for you, since Crane says not to do this. I hope it works.
Also, crappy that Crane does not offer this with a shaft installed. You have to transfer it onto your old shaft. So now I need this gear for $90 plus whatever a hardened shaft from Mopar costs these days.
Comp said the bronze gear wouldn't wear there cam. Again, I'll never understand why companies can't make a roller cam like 100 years of making flat tappet cams. No secret and unique gear recipe needed for them, plop 'em in and go.

-
Back