Brother of previous owner wants his car back! What to do...

-
Cash cow yeah right -we spend 70k building cars worth 25K thats some shrewd investing on our parts eh! welcome to car guy reality Toro

Am I missing something here?? Why spend $3500.00 and a car to get a race car that you have no interest in racing?? Why not just spend the $3500.00 on the Duster and make a nice driver out of it??

IMO, this hobby requires patience, and lots of it. Anybody thats into it to make money is in the wrong hobby, especially in this economy. I wouldn't have the cars and stuff that I do if I wasn't a very patient man, waiting for the right deal, never just buying something at face value, and scouring every inch and cranny of swap mets and junkyards for years to find stuff instead of just opening the catalog and whipping out the credit card!! The only way to get what you want in this hobby is to do it yourself, take your time, roll up your sleeves and stay in it for the long haul!!

I wouldn't deal with the brother of the previous owner, who to me sounds like a jerk to deal with. If he has the cash to buy the car, then sell it to him outright, but I wouldn't take a car back that I didn't want in the first place, especially with a "quickie" job on it. Get the cash and get out of the race car business unless you plan on racing, nobody ever made any money buying and selling race cars!! Just my .02, Geof

Am I missing something here?? Why spend $3500.00 and a car to get a race car that you have no interest in racing?? Why not just spend the $3500.00 on the Duster and make a nice driver out of it??

IMO, this hobby requires patience, and lots of it. Anybody thats into it to make money is in the wrong hobby, especially in this economy. I wouldn't have the cars and stuff that I do if I wasn't a very patient man, waiting for the right deal, never just buying something at face value, and scouring every inch and cranny of swap mets and junkyards for years to find stuff instead of just opening the catalog and whipping out the credit card!! The only way to get what you want in this hobby is to do it yourself, take your time, roll up your sleeves and stay in it for the long haul!!

I wouldn't deal with the brother of the previous owner, who to me sounds like a jerk to deal with. If he has the cash to buy the car, then sell it to him outright, but I wouldn't take a car back that I didn't want in the first place, especially with a "quickie" job on it. Get the cash and get out of the race car business unless you plan on racing, nobody ever made any money buying and selling race cars!! Just my .02, Geof

Very accurate assessment Geoff.

It's a shame you don't want that car. I wish my car was that clean. You do not realize the potential you have there. But you are obviously not a car guy. I have well over $10k in my car and it has never moved under it's own power. It did not even run when I got it. I estimate I need to drop another $20-25k on it to get it where I wanna be. I'm guessing the thing will only be worth about $12k when it's done, I'm not worried about that I'm building it to enjoy.

If you need the car gone that bad let me know and I'll give you $150 for it and gladly haul it off for ya. I'll tuck it away in my 2 car gerage and save it to be the next project after my twin turbo Hemi duster is done

I agree with Geof on this. But if this keeps up you will need to get a lawyer. Bad things will happen. :evil3:

This is one of the most confusing threads I've read in a while.

Best I can make out is you posted on here for a little hand holding because you traded a running, driving, clapped out, nothing special Duster needing major bodywork (properly hanging quarters on any car right is a HUGE ordeal at best, requiring skill, patience, and more than just a few tools and equipment) and 3500 cash for a late 60s Barracuda "race car" thinking you'd cut a fat hog and now you need to unload it for cash?

The PO's brother is miffed the Cuda "got away" and wants to make a deal to trade the previously owned 6 cylinder Duster to back to you for the Cuda after he does paint and bodywork instead of cash.

You're estimating you're in the Barracuda around 4200 and have a verbal offer of 4700 cash but nobody is showing you any money.

You obviously have no interest in owning the Barracuda so do yourself a favor, tell the guy that made the cash offer to put up or shut up. If he's really interested he'll bring the money over. If he shows up, take the money and run.

If he doesn't, make an ad up with detailed pictures and description and advertise the car nationally. Ebay, Craigs list, car forums, etc. If a lot of people know the car is for sale, someone will eventually make you a legitimate offer. Keep dropping your price a few bucks at a time until you sell, and you will have found the true current market value.

So are you!!!!!

You have been on and off on this race car every since you got it. In my opinion you got a fair deal at best but nothing great. I would have kept the $3500 in my pocket. Big blocks are going away because of what you can make a small block in to. Big blocks are heavy compared to small blocks and that hurts you on the track. A 64 big block is very low on the totem pole as far as any one wanting it. It is time for you to get some cheese to go with your whine. Get up and make it happen!

The extra cubic inches far outweigh the difference in weight. I disagree with your big block comment.Go tell them that at big block dart,I can already hear the laughter. I would like to have this car but its too far away from me.At what he paid its a great deal.Biggest problem here is everybody feels like he played us for suckers starting at 14k for the car. with the drastic price cuts it looks like a buyer beware deal. i said looks like not is.

Hey who says all us old farts have a big shop or all the tools needed? I get what tools I need when I can afford it and I have a one car garage. I am not retired but on disability. If you really have a passion for this hobby you can learn and do this. Like anything else this in this hobby it takes time and I know of one member said he has been working on his car 14 years.

I traded straight across with no money exchanged for my Lucille and it was well worth it.

Your closer to retarded than you are retired! Roflmao

The extra cubic inches far outweigh the difference in weight. I disagree with your big block comment.Go tell them that at big block dart,I can already hear the laughter. I would like to have this car but its too far away from me.At what he paid its a great deal.Biggest problem here is everybody feels like he played us for suckers starting at 14k for the car. with the drastic price cuts it looks like a buyer beware deal. i said looks like not is.

Big blocks have Thier place, but I have to say the extra cubes are an old way of thinking. They saying goes "there's no replacement for displacement." that was true 20 years ago, but the turbo has become the great equilizer. That saying should now be rephrased to say "there is no replacement for displacement, unless it's turboed"

Big blocks have Thier place, but I have to say the extra cubes are an old way of thinking. They saying goes "there's no replacement for displacement." that was true 20 years ago, but the turbo has become the great equilizer. That saying should now be rephrased to say "there is no replacement for displacement, unless it's turboed"
That saying should now be rephrased to say "there is no replacement for displacement, unless it's turboed".......and you want to deal with the complexity of a turbo build. For a guy that just wants to go bracket racing or have a street toy nothing is easier than cubes.....

-
Back