Bubbles in Vinyl Top

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put a new vinyl top on my 68 Dart a few months ago. The install was tough but it came out almost perfectly. I parked my car at Carlisle Saturday morning, then went for a walk. When I came back I noticed a few bubbles. I used 3m 90 adhesive. The shop manual shows how to fix this using a syringe. I'm just looking for a little advice before I try the repair. Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks FABO.

As with a self adhesive vinyl graphic, I would first try using a credit card edge to push the bubble to an edge if possible. If this isn't possible (to move the bubble) then I would use a pin to puncture the bubble and push the edges with a credit card toward the pinhole until it disappears. Then I would wax the entire top to give it some waterproofness again. When puncturing the bubble, try not to nick the paint underneath.

Good luck!

I had the same issue. I used a sewing needle to make a small puncture then just pushed the bubble to the hole. I found that getting the vinyl hot in the sun helped as this softens the adhesive. I believe this problem is caused by the adhesive off gassing and is common.

-
Back