Bucket seat compatibility

-

75goldduster

Reaction score
Hello all, I am kinda new to the duster stuff. Always been around chevelles and such as a kid. Anyways, been working on a 73 Duster.

I picked up some descent seats but need to know the compatibility of seat covers to foam shape and frames. I attached a photo of the seats hoping someone can help identify them. The seller stated he thought they may be E body or A body.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 420
Those are '70-71 Duster/Demon seats (not sure if they'll fit your 73).

Foam/covers get pretty specific. Here's a link for foam just to give you an idea:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/xa49

Covers are going to be $300-$350+ (more if you pay an interior guy to install), but at least the foam/covers are easy to find from multiple places. If you can, track down the actual manufacturer bc usually these vendors are selling the same part with big markups and price differences between them. Shop like a girl before you buy- saves money lol.

This is the correct seat for your car (73-74):
View attachment 73-4 duster.jpg

My 72 Demon had '73 buckets in it when I bought it. If you're wanting to go correct for your year beware!! I couldn't find foam anywhere. I looked for a month lol before I gave up. I got really lucky and found a pair of 72 buckets at the Daytona Turkey Run show last year. Seats get expensive so quickly. It would be worth your while to check them over carefully- are the tracks all there and working...is the foam good...sensor intact...backs ok...frame good, etc. All of those parts are $$$$. It could be cheaper to sell those to someone needing 70 seats and buy ones that are close to good or perfect- a chance to go correct if you want. My 72 buckets just need covers and I'll still be into them $1K by the time they get bolted into the floor- seats: $350 covers: +-$450 (with rear bench) install: +-$200 (buckets only...if I bring the seats separately..and if I smile real pretty). I sold my 73 seats pretty quickly on ebay to a guy with a 73 Duster. If you just want good seats and aren't a purist, look into aftermarket or seats from other cars. A U-pull yard will have plenty to choose from. Check this link out, it's pretty great:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=307151&highlight=aftermarket+seats

I hope this helps and good luck :) Congrats on your Duster, you'll have a blast with it.

Hey thanks for all the info and advice. I am not going for pure stock, so I'll research the seats more and if they are earlier year I'll get those covers. I just wanted something as close as possible to era correct. I just got the seats in today and haven't opened them yet. The tracks are supposed to be there. I'll let you know what they look like when I open them up. Thanks again!

These are not 71 Duster/ Demon seats. I believe that these are more likely out of a 1970.
Here is a picture of 1971 seats. Look up the Legendaryautointerior site. They have pictures of all the seats and covers.

You're welcome :) The 70 seats are in my top 5- really good looking. I'm interested to see how it goes for you. I'm about to do my seats in the next 3 weeks or so. They'll be purely decoration... after all this I doubt I'll let anyone ride in my car!

You're welcome :) The 70 seats are in my top 5- really good looking. I'm interested to see how it goes for you. I'm about to do my seats in the next 3 weeks or so. They'll be purely decoration... after all this I doubt I'll let anyone ride in my car!

Good luck, I just did a complete change of my interior to white. Wasn't to hard just lots of patience and take your time.

These are not 71 Duster/ Demon seats. I believe that these are more likely out of a 1970.
Here is a picture of 1971 seats. Look up the Legendaryautointerior site. They have pictures of all the seats and covers.

Thanks for the information. I was just researching pictures of interior and they are 70 seats. Everything is there but I think I am missing the spring that connects the rails to slide together. I picked these up for $300 and they are not in too bad shape. For now, I think I will just recover them. The backs are scratched up a little bit but not in bad shape for 45 years old. Also missing the tab on the passenger side slide handle.

Thanks again for everyones input.

What do you all think? White interior and sublime green exterior? every car i have seen does black interior. A body, E body.....

That's a good price and it's awesome that they have the backs. I went with black interior too lol. Mostly bc it's hard enough to find interior parts and when you do, they're usually black. I won't lie, though, I wish I could have gone with red :)
Green and white would be sharp!

Yes black is a lot easier to find and if it's any other color easier to finish in black too... My challenger, jeep, truck are all black everything.

I personally am partial to white interior. It's cooler on a hot day and it seems to give the interior a little class. That's Just Me though.

Thanks for the information. I was just researching pictures of interior and they are 70 seats. Everything is there but I think I am missing the spring that connects the rails to slide together. I picked these up for $300 and they are not in too bad shape. For now, I think I will just recover them. The backs are scratched up a little bit but not in bad shape for 45 years old. Also missing the tab on the passenger side slide handle.

Thanks again for everyones input.

On the 70 seats, there is a wire that runs from the left to the right side adjuster lever. You can use a thin close hanger or a small diameter piece of wire to make them work.

Here's another question.... What about back seat compatibility? Are seat covers interchangeable? If I do the 70 buckets, how about rear bench?

I'm not sure which springs you're trying to find :scratch: Here is a 71 and up driver side outer bucket seat track. You can see the 2 springs in the pic & where they attach...

Your 70 tracks will have an additional lever where the wire I mentioned above is attached to make the seats adjust.

Attachments

• P1010783.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 225
Yes, those are the wires that connect the left & right tracks to make them adjust on the 70 tracks. You can make your own quite easily or buy those....:)

6pk, made one out of an old hanger, so far works great!

:thumbup: Good Job!!!

I have 70 seats in my 72 and used a wire to connect them for many years without a problem. When I found a set of original wires, I changed them over, but didn't really need to.....

-
Back