Budget Cooling ideas

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
What are you or have yall used on a budget to cool your BBs? Ive heard of a radiator out of an F150 and a few others. Just curious as to what yall have used?

Well I a 72 dart with a 440 in it, I bought a reproduction 68 BB GTS radiator from cool craft for $ 380.00, works great. its a tight fit.

Bmw radiators is what i use, they mount like chevy with peg and rubber donuts.

they have the drivers upper and passenger lower...they weigh nothing and r super bigg aluminum single row.

thats what i have used, put one in my car with a sb stroker, one in my bros valiant and another in a '68 440 dart 10.1 comp .533 lift cam 3800 stall 4.30 gear, works great!

any specific model of BMW. And $380 isnt exactly what i had in mind for budget.

I get them from the wrecking yard=40 bucks

5-7 series beamers, the 3 series fits perfect for the early 62-66 cars, the other 5-7 series fit the 67&up core support window perfect.

Im not rich and for me its about function more than it is about name brands or being fancy

How did you hook the hoses up to that radiator? Do you have a big block using that radiator?

Champion radiators

X2.

26" 3-row Champion Radiator and a custom shroud with a clutch fan completely fixed my cooling issues. Idles all day long at 180*.

Talk to ChallengerGary on FABO, he's a good guy and will beat anyone's price.

i have a 73 duster 440 water pump housing from motor home small block chevy dirt track rad. had to install a tstat just to get it up to operating temp

i bought the biggest one i could fit from summit in their cheapest brand, under 150 if i remember correctly. took it to a local welder and hi TIG'D ears on it for me for another 30$ i know the whole thing set me back less than 200$.

68 a body with 540 stroker... cheap Ebay electric fan. no issues when it ran.

i bought the biggest one i could fit from summit in their cheapest brand, under 150 if i remember correctly. took it to a local welder and hi TIG'D ears on it for me for another 30$ i know the whole thing set me back less than 200$.

68 a body with 540 stroker... cheap Ebay electric fan. no issues when it ran.

I don't know how you go yours to cool but mine heat up fast and can't figure out why..

My son has a BMW track car and runs a radiator from a 3.5 Dodge intrepid(with both fans).
He also runs a Mazda rx 7 oil cooler.

In my A bodies I have used the rad and shroud from a 74 360 Dart to cool my warmed over 408, it worked great. My 72 swinger had its factory rad - it was a 318 air cond. car, and when I put the 440 in it kept it cool. Both cars used an engine driven 7 bladed fan with a clutch.

On a budget I put a ford explorer rad in my buddies 65 Fury with a 440. A junk yard rad and shroud, it was aluminum, again with a Chrysler 7 bladed fan and clutch, I had to trim like 3/8" of the tips of the blades to fit in the shroud. It worked great. I cant remember the year of the explorer but if you surf the c body sights you will find a thread on it, it is fairly popular in the big cars. I haven't measured it up yet to see if it will fit an A body though...

I get them from the wrecking yard=40 bucks

5-7 series beamers, the 3 series fits perfect for the early 62-66 cars, the other 5-7 series fit the 67&up core support window perfect.

Im not rich and for me its about function more than it is about name brands or being fancy
join the club!and by the way thats the coolest solution for cooling our cars i have heard.thank you justin.:cheers:

Dont know what year car you have but the radiator for volare, aspen and diplomat fit between the frame rails of my 74 Duster.
This unit will essentially direct fit. So no cutting or mods to your car other than you may have to change one or two of the bolt holes in the radiator support. Not like using another brand radiator which could require more aggressive surgery to make fit.

Lots of surface area and volume of coolant.

They are fairly big and quite cheap for a new one on rock auto.

Rock auto has a spectra premium: P/N = CU500 2 row, for 162.79.

I selected a 79 dodge aspen with a 360 on their website

One item you should buy new is a radiator unless you are willing to spend time with chemicals to boil it out and then you may end up with a leaky radiator.

You may find a decent one at a junk yard and have it professionally boiled out but might as well get a new one at that rate.

-
Back