Budget mini bike resto (pics) RUPP

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
These questions are pretty general automotive questions so I’m thinking someone here might be able to help…

My dad and I are restoring a 1971 Rupp mini bike on a tight budget. This is not a 'showroom' resto and we will be using this bike like it was made to be used 36 years ago.

We have a few questions about products/ideas that are new to us:

Is there a Rust Preventative Treatment that goes on after stripping and before the primer coat? We’ve heard of this but never used it which is unfortunate since my dad’s 15 year old restoration of a vintage Dodge has two spots of rust starting to crack through.

Ready-to-spray paint for the frame… We’ve seen that Duplicolor has paint that does not require thinning, anyone have experience with this sort of product?

Rust on chrome wheels. We can’t afford to have anything on this re-chromed so is chrome spray paint a decent alternative? Is there another alternative?

We will have some POR-15 (or we may try this ‘Rust Encapsulator’ stuff) and body filler (to smooth stick welds)

Any suggestions are very welcome.

I'm planning on trying this on some of my rusted parts.

http://www.safestrustremover.com/acid.asp

It looks like it might be what you could use on those wheels.
B.T.W. What model Rupp is it? I had a Black Widow when I was about 15. I kept kicking the rod out of it until I bought a billet one.
Good luck.
Ted

if you want the chrome to look like new again,why not send them to cuda chick and have them blasted and powder coated.it will ast forever,wont fade,chip,peel or rust any more.i would also have the frame powder coated,ir get a pint of a good single stage urethane paint,like dupont,etc.the duplicolor,and other enamel paints do not shine,or hold up near as long as urethane,and if your gonna go through all that hard work,might as well make it last 15 or twenty years,right?just my thoughts.heres the link to cuda chicks powder coating business,goodluck!http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/index.html

DON'T SPRAYPAINT THE WHEELS! Usa Oxycilic acid and mix it as per the package. Use a large enough containe so that your wheels can be submerged ( a large tupperware tub) abd let it soak so a day or so. Then wash off and use a non abrasive cloth to rub the loose crap off the wheels. This usually works wonders on chrome plated materials that have rust. You may still see some pits, but overall it should look way better than paint.

We're thinking of trying electrolysis to remove the rust, anyone have experience with this? I'm just worried my 1amp battery charger isn't strong enough.

Where do you buy Oxylic acid, I've never even heard of it before?

B.T.W. What model Rupp is it? I had a Black Widow when I was about 15. I kept kicking the rod out of it until I bought a billet one.
Good luck.
Ted

We think its a Enduro but are not sure since the frame was highly modified. We are bringing it back to factory configeration. Also, budget resto = we literally don't have money for stuff like re-chroming and powder coating, thanks for the suggestions anyway.

you should be ble to buy the oxycilic acid at Home Depot, Lowes, menards or whatever home inprovement store you have nearby.

Can a MOD edit my original post and take out the URL's in the post and '(pics)' from the title? Please.

-
Back