Buffing, compounding,??? Help

-

dla4567

Reaction score
I painted my car 3 days ago, (first time painting a car) and the finish was less than perfect. The paint was orange peeled and a couple of runs. Today I sanded the paint with 800 grit to remove all the runs, orange peel, and smooth the finish. Resprayed the car and it was much better but not what I was hoping for, ( lack of skill,experience,training,proper equipment, etc.).I'm thinking of sanding the paint and buffing it out to get a nice finish.So now with the questions. How long do I let the paint dry before sanding? What type of buffer? What type of pad, wool,terry,foam? Do I use rubbing compound, glaze, polish? I have never done this so I'm looking for any and all info I can get on making this paint look good. Thanx.

Just got back from Memphis meeting yet another great FABO member from Austrailia and started checking the site and i see this. Let me ask a couple of questions before i spout off. Paint? Did you do a base/clear? How many coats of base? How many coats of clear? Ever use a run cutter? Are the runs in the base or the clear? Got a sanding block and some 800 wet/dry? Take it from 800 to 1500 in stages, then worry about the polishing. When you do, use 3M glazing compound on a foam pad then you can complete the job with some finishing compound. Give us some more details.
Small Block

I sprayed 2 coats single stage, acrylic enamel, wet sanded with 800. That removed all orange peel and runs. Then sprayed 2 more coats, 1 medium coat, let flash then 1 full wet coat. The roof looks good but I can't get a good smooth finish on the vertical sides. I have plenty of sandpaper and sanding blocks. I got confused when looking at the different compounds and buffing pads. Also I don't know what I don't know about buffing and polishing.

Get some sanding blocks and start wet sanding. Lots of water. Start with 1500, move to 2000, Then start buffing. Lots of compound, a wool cutting pad and a high speed buffer. Orbital wont work.

3M products work good and are usually easy to find. Ask your local paint store.

Adam can you use a mild detergent if wet sanding old paint in order to get it ready to buff?A friend of mine told me to use dish detergent in a bucket of water for older paint have you ever heard of this?

aren't you suppose to wait 48hours before wet sanding for the paint to cure?

A link to my barracuda cleanup. wool bonnet works wonders with a variable speed machine. You will still need a good swirl remover and sealer after these puppies are used.

(forget the rattle can on the right. It's always looking for attention!)

You can not water sand and polish acrylic enamel it will be milky looking. I'd 600 grit water sand it fill the orange peel is gone be careful on edges and body lines you don;t want to break through then shoot it with 3 coats of clear then if you have any problems you can water sand and polish.

Acrylic Enamel is a pain to sand and buff.Do you have a air regulator on your gun?It looks like your air pressure may have been a little bit high.

Adam can you use a mild detergent if wet sanding old paint in order to get it ready to buff?A friend of mine told me to use dish detergent in a bucket of water for older paint have you ever heard of this?

The soap is used to keep the paper clean.

-
Back