Build me a Small block

-
JMHO that you can build your stroker for less than is being said here. Just wait for the bargains. As long as you dont have to have it right now you will save a lot of bucks

also,a word about pricing. There is a HUGE markup on auto parts and hi performance stuff is worse than replacement stuff for this. I know. I used to work for a large auto parts chain. They had no less than 10 different pricing levels and then there was the employee pricing which was basically cost. So youe mechanic would buy the parts fro your car at his price level and then mark them up to retail.So he' makes money on the repair through labour and parts.

There is plenty of wiggle room on auto parts and hi performance stuff. They wont tell you this of course. My friend at the local jobber (same chain I worked for 15 years ago) has sold me stuff many times at 1/2 retail or less....

Maybe thats why I think that stuff being sold here still seems on the hi side.lol...

I bought a eagle cast 4" for $259, Probe forged pistons w/ Total Seal rings for $550, H-beams from Ebay(new) for $269, new Weiand Xcelerator for $159 from Northtern auto parts, new aluminum rockers w/shafts for $179(ebay), new Comp Cams XE275HL for $90 (ebay)and new in box Eddy RPM heads from a guy on ebay for $1100. That's $2606 SO FAR! Of course that's just a start and there's quite a bit to go for this build( oil pan w/pickup, pump, timing chain, water pump, gaskets, distributor, carb,etc.. etc. etc.) but you can find good parts for relatively cheap if you're patient and look around. And then there's machine work! Take a piece of paper and a pencil, sit down and list ALL the stuff you'll need, and start shopping. It adds up quick and then tack on a bit more $ for stuff you don't know about yet. Happens every time. If you can find a good running engine that some other guy spent the coin on, that just may be the way to go but , of course, be CAREFULL what you buy used! Good Luck

-
Back